what is a rubbitin frequency standard?

Hi Jeff, The physics of the Rb standard, is pretty cool. (If you like that kind of stuff.) So first off I only know this 'in theory' having never built a Rb standard. So I think that the hyperfine transition that you tickle with RF, is actually a 'fan' of different transitions. (they all meet at zero magnetic field.) Now most of the transitions in this 'fan' are linearly dependent on the B field. But there's one, funny enough called the 'clock transition', that has only quadratic field dependence. (and leaves the origin with a slope of zero.) So you run the lamp a little away from zero B field, (to move the rest of the fan out of the way.) and then you can tweak the B field a bit, to tune the frequency. I think that's what the adjustment pot on some will do.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

True. They're currently selling for $180 to $400. Ouch.

However, I have an ulterior motive. I have about 200 CMS/Novatel AllStar 12 GPS boards that are looking for a project. APRS trackers are rather boring. I was thinking of a GPSDO. Lack of time and general lack of interest has brought that project to a halt.

I was just reading through the FE-5680A FAQ, which pointed to your web site. When I originally bought my FE-5680A, I didn't need to stabilize any microwave test equipment or radios. At the time, I was at 1GHz max. However, some of the stuff I traded for the FE-5680A goes to 4GHz and

22GHz. That will be a problem if the reference is noisy.

I've looked at the Jackson-Labs GPSDO boards but could never find a dealer or price list. I think Symmetricom is now selling their products. yep: Still no prices or dealers, but that should be easy to find by calling or writing their order prevention department.

Thanks much.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

What little I know, I've learned from fixing them. My score so far is

1 success out of two attempted repairs. Learn by Destroying(tm).

Yep. The magnetic field does have an effect on the frequency. Freq = 6,834,682,613. + 574 * H^2 Freq is in Hertz H is in Oersteds.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Look at the schematic. It's a few TTL parts and an SRD multiplier.

The Efratom manual talks about using a magnetic field to push the microwave resonance around a little. The 10 MHz output of ours is dead on.

What's fun is to get a scope, and triggger it from a caesium standard and look at the rising edge of the Efratom output. Crank it up to 10 ns/div and you would swear that the scope is internally triggered. Come back an hour later and it's moved on the screen a little.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:18:28 -0600) it happened "Vladimir Vassilevsky" wrote in :

It is the SiRFIII chipset, in a dealextreme module. I opend up the module, and it seems they connected the LED on front to the 1pps output of the chipset. It only starts flashing when locked on sats. There are several interssting signals that are brought out to little gold plated test points from that ballgrid chip, but not a real usable frequency. I think I can see the the phase comparator and maybe 2 bit signed ADC.

Yes, there also is supposed to be a UK long wave station that is synchronised, but I could not hear it on longwave. DCF77 at 77.5 kHz in Germany runs my radio controlled clock. At least I do not have top set winter-summer time on that one...

I wil report back how things work out with the rubbitinium

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:45:12 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@pop.net" wrote in :

Interesting link, yes the idea of a '2 step' system, driving a second crystal had occured to me. PLL loop bandwidth can then be very low. I could oven it too, as I replied in an other posting.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is very likely that there will be a glitch of phase of 1pps signal when switching from one GPS satellite to the other. There could be small phase jerks at all time as they could use fractional dividers. Take a good frequency/period counter and check the 1pps from your GPS module against it. What kind of timing accuracy are you after? Getting to full potential accuracy of GPS is no simple.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:27:53 -0600) it happened "Vladimir Vassilevsky" wrote in :

Oh, I am satisfied with a few hundred Hz at say 1.5 GHz. starting directly from about 50255056.078356 Hz, and multiplying by about 30 that should work with the rubbitin unit.

I have no illusions about that GPS module 1pps, will not even try to use it. It wil be non-operatibve anyway once the project runs. Like a tiger byting its own tail. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

un

-

Neat, I was just going to seacrh the web and try to find that number.

I've got a broken SRS unit that John Williston gave us.

Hmm, I can't get into the absorption cell/cavity 'bit'. I was kinda hoping to see the step recovery diode. (Which I think is inside the cavity.)

Not sure I should 'learn by destroying' :^)

Maybe I can still fire it up some day and see what works.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

for

gnal

cal

Can someone tell me what the 1pps output (or input) is?

Thanks, George H.

plated test points

onal

ised,

ext -

Reply to
George Herold

1 pulse per second
Reply to
David Eather

Yikes, what a packaging nightmare!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ff

.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

It actually came apart easily. But yeah it has PCB's on all six sides of the 'physics package', held together with multiple headers.

There's a resistor(?) stuck on thin brass posts right next to the lamp bulb... I don't know what it does.

(It's a bit hard to see.)

There are some nice construction 'tricks'. The heater for the lamp is a voltage regulator (LM7808) and a transistor in TO220 packs. (I assume the transistor sets the heater current.) And underneath the two TO-220's are machined pockets that hold two thermistors. (I assume) (and why two?)

(That's a bit blurry, sorry.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

I have an SRS SC-cut 10 MHz oscillator. The oven design is terrible. They used a mosfet for the heater and located the temp sensor some distance away on the inner metal block. Obviously the thermal diffusion time constant was long, and the loop was unstable. So they went with a low-gain proportional-only loop, then added a second ambient temp sensor and did a feed-forward thing to correct for the finite gain.

The oscillator itself is pretty good. Jitter is around a picosecond per second, thousands of times better than a cheap TCXO.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

off

it

ess

is

une

ww.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Oh my boss suggested that the resistor (~500 ohms) on brass posts is the feedback 'tap' for the oscillator.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

z off

l it

less

'

is

is

un

tune

t highlandtechnology dot com

.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Ahh we got the absorption cell open. I thought there would be two cells, first the 'so-called' hyperfine filter, (Rb85) and then the absorption cell Rb87. But there's only one. Maybe it's a mixture, I'll have to look at it next time I test a diode laser.

The step recovery diode is a through hole part. The only part number is an M on one line and 0024 next. (It's blue in color)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

off

highlandtechnology dot com

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Only companies that start with "M" are allowed to sell SRDs. MA/Com, M-pulse, Metelics, MicroMetrics. Everyone else had to get out of the business.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You might do ok with a directional antenna like a loop. I have been looking at LF loops to receive the WWVB signal and they have a deep null that can be steered to sources of interference. It can be a bit of a construction project to make your own loop antenna at LF, but at 10 MHz it might not be too bad.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

range,

Fer damn sure. Some F**** idiot manager understood 1 pps and had zero understanding of proper clock synchronization. So they bought shit. Now it is the common thing, and essentially worthless.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

intended

when

phase

it.

True. But 1 pps takes months to years to beat decent TCXO stability.

Reply to
josephkk