What has happened to the CRT?

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:Or3if.25014$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

I believe that. An ever increasing number of consumers want cheap stuff...

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:8b5if.24297$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

stuff...

The tuner is probably made by another manufacturer, and bought as a drop-in component for 73 cents. And I bet that the F-connector only falls off in 1:10.000 sets. Your ideas are good, but way too expensive ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

possily they use sparate tuner modules to make it easier to adapt to different TV standards where for example the audio carrier may be at a different offset.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

So did the carbon in oil and coal. Bummer!

Burning biomass is only CO2-neutral if the biomass is

*regrown* *after* the combustion.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Hello Jasen,

Usually the tuners only convert to IF and standards stuff is handled by a chip down the line. Those chips are multi-standard, that's how I made one of our TVs PAL-NTSC selectable via a little 'hack'.

The tuners are wideband and typically cover whatever is needed min-max.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, a 19" PC screen plus a TV card is quite a cheap option.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Hello Robert,

With trees that is usually the case.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Unless you have an HDTV source (that you want to watch) you may as well use one of those old-fashioned Braun tube things.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Dirk,

But why should I do that if I can get a 32" CRT for $300? Plus it doesn't crash all the time. I don't want to rely on some Microsoft product to watch TV.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, I assume that 32" screen cannot display at a decent PC resolution. I don't see much point in buying a 'television set' anymore.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Hello Dirk,

It can't. But we don't watch PC stuff in the living room. It would be ok for email but the link between living room equipment and the web is something the industry hasn't really mastered yet.

True. But it's ok for the news and some good old movies, of which there are one or two a week at the most if you use terrestrial reception.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Spehro,

That's another reason why I am hesitant to buy into HDTV. 'Modern' movies are too violent and the old ones will likely remain in standard TV format since the market is small.

If our governor ever asked me whether I like his movies I'd have to be honest and say no.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Do you mean as opposed to Extraterrestrial reception? (no, not the satellites, it's a [now that I look at it] very lame joke. ;-) )

But, I'd submit, for a single guy with no cash, it bets staring at four walls. ;-) Then again, sometimes just walking down the street people-watching can be more fun than what's on broadcast TV. ;-)

(I know, so is the Holy Internet, and the Public Library, but I can't get in on a Sunday afternoon. )-; )

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Huh? I'd submit that there are a couple of them that are bearable (at least in my not-so-humble opinion)[Have you noticed how hard it is to type 'opinion'?]

"Last Action Hero":

I liked it because of the science-fictional. OK, just plain fantasy aspect

- some kid gets some magical charm and goes *through* the movie screen (a la Alice) into Movieland, but while there it spoofs almost everybody, and Ahnold spoofs not only Sly Stallone, but himself. Quite funny, in places.

"Totall recall:

Technically superb - very well-done FX, (you gotta see the three-titted mutant babe on Mars) and Ahnold turns in a passable performance as a guy with false memories. "If I'm not me, then who am I?" But the story line turns out to have been lame all along.

"True Lies":

It has Jamie Lee Curtis in it. ;-)

"Predator":

Ahnold meets up with an ET that's bigger than him and can kick his ass.

"Predator 2":

didn't have Ahnold in it, but Danny Glover chases one of those Predator ETs all the way back to his ship, where you see a trophy case with skulls from all around the galaxy, and one of them is the skull of an Alien. I liked that. :-)

All of the Terminator series have been a total romp. ;-) Although, why would anybody put t*ts on a machine?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

hates it.

like it.

love it (it has Jamie Lee Curtis in it)

love it

except for T3

What?? Are you serious? Do you have to ask??

Reply to
slebetman

Have you checked the interlock arrangement on that? Might change your mind.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Our Sharp was about $69 a year ago at Walmart and has an LCD.

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

They are not gas discharge, they are vacuum tubes with phosphor, similar idea to CRTs, but with grids controlling a bunch of flood beams rather than yanking a focused beam all over the place. They're called VFDs (Vacuum Fluorescent Displays)

I don't think they are cheaper than LEDs per se, but they can be directly driven by some 4-bit micros, are fairly low power for the brightess, can be easily customized with annunciators and such like, and are cheap enough and many people consider them more attractive than LEDs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

So what? The filament is typically something like 3V @100mA (300mW) so the power consumption is still reasonable compared to LED or LCD with backlight that can offer viewability in a sunny kitchen- and the filament doesn't need regulated or switched current, compared to a

100mA 1.8V LED which might draw power at 10VDC through regulation, switching and current limiting (1W consumption).

Really low-end ones? Even the cheap-ass $120 US Panasonic I was looking at yesterday had VFD display. The wide temperature range is another advantage- our kitchen range has a VFD display.

Our antique chrome-finish Amana Radarrange has a red LED display, but it's a relic.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

(re old Radarrange)

It has a microswitch that clicks nicely, and the door latches magnetically when the magnetron is on. Seems pretty safe. It's probably been tested with some equipment that I made back in the dark ages-- I forget how many cycles CSA wanted on the things, but it was pretty substantial.