LCD conductive tape

I'm trying to repair a cheap alarm clock with an LCD display.

(I know this isn't worth my time but at this point I'm more curious...)

A few segments of the LCD are not working and when I press the conductive tape that connects the LCD to the board, it starts to work. OK a bad connection.

But am trying to buy a piece of this conductive tape and I can't find it anywhere even described on the Internet.

It seems like ordinary scotch adhesive tape but with conductive ink tracks. It is 1.5mm pitch and has 28 conductors. It is simply stuck onto the lip of the LCD and the PWB.

It's not zebra strip. It's not flexible flat cable FFC which is actual wire. This stuff is actually adhesive tape with conductive (black) ink.

What is this stuff called so I can search for it?

Anybody seen it for sale anywhere?

thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Can you remove the tape, and clean it and the board contacts? If so, that might be all that's needed.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Jamie

Why not just arrange a piece of fairly stiff foam to press on it just like your finger does?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

3M anisotropic tape ? do you have a tame bank manager ?
Reply to
N_Cook

Just permanentise your fingers with dense foam/rubber/wedges against casing or against cable ties around pcb

Reply to
N_Cook

They're called "Heat Seal Connectors" generically. Originated by a Japanese company, IIRC (Shin-Etsu, maybe?) , but now more widely produced.

Tons of it, but only in Asia. You allegedly need proper (expensive, generally) equipment to get reliable bonds, so it's generally considered unsuitable for low volumes, but I suspect anyone with a small mill could cob something up with an arbor press and a temperature-controlled metal strip that would work adequately given a bit of practice.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ramsey used to sell one to bond LCD displays for pagers & cell phones. It was made from a 1/2 ton arbor press.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If it is just scotch tape with tracks on it, you could make your own with a conductive ink pen.

If it were me though, I would wedge foam in there like others have suggested.

-Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Spehro, and the others..

thank you..."heat seal connectors" is the term.

I should have just arranged something to press and hold it in place but I already pulled it off, so I'll chalk this on up to lesson learned. It was a $5 clock so no big deal.

If you come across this stuff, do NOT pull it off, that will only make it worse.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Spehro, and the others..

thank you..."heat seal connectors" is the term.

I should have just arranged something to press and hold it in place but I already pulled it off, so I'll chalk this on up to lesson learned. It was a $5 clock so no big deal.

If you come across this stuff, do NOT pull it off, that will only make it worse.

Mark

&&&&&&&&

I was just going to ask if anyone had a URL for this stuff

I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native English speaker technical author contacting these Chinese and HK companies and charging for tidying up their "english"

Anyone happen to know what the bonding chemical is ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Actually yes, at least in Japan there is. I don't have any expirence in China, but I know for a fact here in Japan there are jobs for native speakers all over the place in correcting "Engrish"..

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

The term is "Engrish", and NO, THERE IS NOT.

I've been trying "forever" to get several companies, native and foreign -- including National Semiconductor -- to pay me to edit their docuementation. THEY WILL NOT. It is of less than zero concern to them. As long as they make money, the quality of their user manuals, etc, does not matter.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Probably, if it was reasonably priced. On a somewhat related note, I recently met a middle-aged Brit lady who lives on Lantau in HK. One of her part-time income streams is short term contracts where she is flown to a factory on the mainland and she tries on their prototype bras and offers feedback on fit, support etc. Fairly lucrative by the hour, if one is the type of woman who can't run without suffering two black eyes...

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Probably they'd find it embarassing to admit that their "docuementation" was in any way lacking. Maybe with a bit of guangxi..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've long felt it's largely a matter of "face".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I would say you are correct. I would immagine that National is a traditional Japanese company, which is unfriendly to change or outsiders. Its the more forward thinking companies here that are actually worreid about their English. Funny how corporate mindset here seems to be 20 years behind the majority of the midset of people that I meet. Guess thats also falls back to rules are to be followed rule.. (me at work) "Why are we doing this?" (boss) "Thats just how we do it." (doesnt know why either) Now I think about it this can be appled to corporations in the US also.. :[ Just seems like people here never ask why.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Thanks for agreeing.

National Semiconductor is an American company. You're thinking of Panasonic.

we

:[

I've worked at and for Microsoft, and it seemed fairly concerned about providing good documentation in other languages. Whether it did or not, I don't know. I can tell you that Steve Ballmer has less-than-zero concern about its English documentation. (I can show you the e-mail to prove it.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" kirjoitti viestissä:ibel3a$uh9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Yes, Microsoft translations are quite high quality, at least around here

You'd think that they'd hire a native English speaking tech writer before publishing the first edition. 'Face' has already been lost once the Engrish version hits the market and then every time a savvy user refers to it.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to