Well that looks like fun (gas-powered manned multicopter)

I think that a correctly designed quad could, but it'd need bigger props than are common on quads.

I'm kinda guessing here, but I think you'd need roughly the same disk area on the quad as on a similar-weight helicopter that could autorotate

-- and it'd need variable-pitch props that could go to negative pitch before they slowed down, and probably purpose-written software in the fly- by-wire system.

There'd be oodles more stuff that could kill you with a malfunction than with a Heli, basically.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Autorotation requires a rotor with variable pitch and a lot of inertia in the blades. You have to be able to invert the pitch in order for the slipstream to keep the rotor turning, then invert it again before you hit the ground.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs