Well, it happened--the last fast PNP is EOL

BFT92, RIP. :(

NXP, you lousy bastards, you just took away about a quarter of my design space. Get 'em while they last.

Razza frazza mfrgremnmnn....

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Am 04.06.2018 um 17:54 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

<

Let's hope that at least _these_ stay for some time..

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Yeah, true, there are those. Unfortunately their Rbb' and Ree' are the pits.

I just bought Newark's last reel of BFT92s, so we'll be okay for our own stuff, but I can't use them in custom or licensed designs any more.

Which is a great pity--fast PNP wraparounds are good for a lot of things.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Should start a s.e.d. fabless semiconductor company and get them made again, China will make whatever you like. You could advertise it as exactly that "The Last Fast PNP" like the Last of the Mohicans or something.

Reply to
bitrex

It's be nice to have it available in a SOT-323 SC70 package.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Maybe you and Hobbs should buy a wafer or two? Then, as time moves on, package them to suit the era? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

mandag den 4. juni 2018 kl. 23.42.01 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

digikey has 18000 in stock, $2,835 for 15000 how many wafers can you get for that?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Digikey has several reels:

You could buy some, put them in a nitrogen cabinet and 10 years down the road less the individual transistors at auction for $5 a pop :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Octopart shows 44,909 at Digikey. These are BFR92P: 2GHz, not 5GHz. See the datasheet at

Steve Wilson

Scratch that. BFT92 is PNP

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Discrete device wafers are dirt-cheap and low profitability. That's why the devices are being phased out. Was anyone besides Hobbs buying them? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Haha. Not anymore.

Reply to
tom

I sure was. And a lot of SOT-89 parts, now gone too.

If the wafers are cheap, somebody could bake a crate full of them, jack up the device prices, and do OK. And not annoy a lot of maybe-future customers.

 Click to see the full signature

I think everyone here who uses them regularly should let us all know just how many they use per annum and exactly how precious the last of these fast PNPs are because y'know... I'm just curious

Reply to
bitrex

Look into it. Lansdale bought a lot of the rights to Moto chips... still selling some I designed 50+ years ago. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim, you should post a list of all the chips you designed.

Regards

Reply to
tom

It is called BFT92W. Future Electronics still has one reel left :)

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

They're still available from NXP till November, though I don't know how many more wafers they'll actually be processing.

One reel is probably enough for my needs, but this move puts some of my customers in a bit of a jam. I just got a call this morning to redesign a circuit from a year or two back, and I expect there'll be more. Not the sort of new business I'm most fond of.

NXP. What a bunch of morons.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If its any comfort I used a class-D driver IC from another manufacturer in an unorthodox fashion, as a lab bench device to drive large capacitive loads fast. Meaning ordinary class-D driver chips won't cut it. Yesterday a client asked me how to turn this module into a smaller version and get it into production for other purposes. Needless to say, this IC has been obsoleted. Harumph!

Guess we are in the same boat again :-)