addendum to 45-year MOSFET history, comments?

I've written an addendum to the 18-page 45-year power MOSFET history article for the x-Chapters.

And would appreciate your comments. Here it is:

As we leave this lengthy section, discussing various intricacies in the history of power MOSFETs, we have to admit not mentioning a few important MOSFET topics:

(1.) RF power MOSFETs. These are specialized beasts that work to high power levels (750 watts) and to high frequencies (tens of GHz). This is a very active fast-growing area.

(2.) Lateral power MOSFETs. These avoid using V-grooves and other high-channel-density schemes. They feature a negative tempco bias property, see sections 3.6.4 and 3x.18, are required meat for high-power linear audio power amplifiers. ProFusion sells parts made by Exicon. Hitachi abandoned the market, and now users pray these parts won't disappear.

(3.) Depletion-mode MOSFETs. Unlike enhancement-mode MOSFETs, which are normally off and require a positive bias to turn on, these are normally on, and require a reverse-bias to turn off. See the discussion in section 3.6.2 and Table 3.6 of the main book, and also section 9.3.14 for applications. In this volume see sections 3x.6, 4x.23, 9x.3 and 9x.12. Very nice depletion- mode parts are available, and seem to have a stable marketplace, however we aren't seeing new parts being introduced. There are only n-channel types available.

(4.) Pioneered by companies like Agilent (spun off to Avago, and purchased by Broadcom), super-fast high-frequency small-signal MOSFETs flourished. With technologies like pHEMT (pseudomorphic high-electron-mobility transistor) and E-pHEMT (enhancement-mode pHEMT), we got inexpensive discrete parts like Avago's ATF-38143, a 10GHz 4-volt 200mA FET in a convenient 4-lead SC-70 package. But these handy parts have disappeared, as semiconductor manufacturers created IC-based solutions more attractive to the telecom customer base.** Now we are left with parts like the SAV-551+, made by Mini-Circuits (thank you!) and not even appearing on Octopart This part substitutes for Avago's ATF-55143, and features 2 ohms Ron and 0.4pF Cout, numbers we were getting used to in the good-old-days.

** footnote: Of the parts on John Larkin's 2017 small pHEMT list (with pinouts and SMT labels), only CEL's CE3514 is still available, and Mouser has a pile of SKY65050 parts left in stock.
--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The really sad demise is the ATF-50189, a power phemt in a SOT-89 package. It was rated for 7 volts but, in the tradition of RF parts, was good for a lot more. I have/had a beautiful pulse generator output stage, and some great laser drivers, that use them.

There were nice SOT-89 mesfets, long gone.

I'm having to transition some designs to GaN, which needs a lot more gate drive, but can switch a lot more volts.

With a roughly factor of 4 improvement in slew and swing, we might consider opamps.

SAV-551 is a nice little part. Rds-on is impressive.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks Win, I have just dipped in so far but on page99, second line (about SIC gate drive):

...s (early SiC parts required +20 V and 5 V), b...

Shouldn't that be -5V?

Over-enhancing (a depletion mode part) and over-depleting (an enhancement mode part) are worthwhile tricks to keep in the designers toolbox. After-all the zero bias distinction between enh and depl is not always so simplistic.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Yes, thanks, I've fixed it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The gates of silicon mosfets can be driven plenty hard without fear of blowing out the gate oxide. The margin is roughly 8:1. SiC fets seem to have very little margin between good gate drive and destruction.

Given the high equivalent gate resistances of many SiC parts, they need to be driven hard to switch fast.

GaN gates are similarly restricted. Not much more than a healthy drive voltage can damage them.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have not had the time to read it through thoroughly, but I do not see the Spirito effect mentioned:

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

It's going to get a proper mention.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Small suggestion: Mentioning e-pHEMT right next to the ATF-38143, which is a depletion-mode part seems a bit suboptimal. Maybe just leave out the e/d distinction altogether?

? David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

RIP.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, I noticed that issue, will re-write a few sentences.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Did Skyworks discontinue it?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hard to say. The product page doesn't say so, but they only list RichardsonRFPD and themselves as sources. For themselves, they say zero inventory. It doesn't look good.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a related note, does anyone here have 1/f noise measurements for the CE3512K2 or CE3514M4?

? David

Reply to
David Nadlinger

Qorvo appear to sell some discretes as well [1], but unfortunately they seem to only be available in die form. Probably not worth a mention because of that, but it might be an option if one absolutely needed the smallest input capacitance possible.

? David

[1]
David Nadlinger

We went through an extended NDA process with Qorvo before we could see data sheets for some unremarkable laser drivers. And then the prices were 4x what we considered reasonable. I suspect they only want to sell parts by the billion.

lunatic fringe electronics