Weatherproof "button"

But, then I'd have to replumb the things onto their "correct" zones, later. E.g., the citrus trees have very different watering needs than the roses (the former needs *long*, deep waterings once or twice a week; the latter needs brief waterings daily -- twice daily when we have hot/dry winds!). Likewise, the cacti don't like much water at all!

Much of the complexity of the water distribution, here, is because we decided *not* to group plants of similar water needs in close proximity, etc. (there's a mile of 1/2" poly buried on this little lot!)

Yeah, but then I have to remember to turn it on to begin with and off when done (that's the point of having these little "buttons" -- "give me some water and please turn things off when I forget to, later" :> )

If I had been more ambitious, I would have run two lines around the yard -- one "switched" (valved?) and the other "unswitched". The effort to trench for one line is pretty much the same as for *two* lines! But, the pisser would have been all the plumbing to get that second line under the four walls it must pass by :-/ Easier to let "technology" solve the problem! ;-)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yes. But, attending to it is also a low priority task. Folks know that there are better ways to get in touch with us. A "call me" message will almost *surely* go unanswered.

I use email almost exclusively for my correspondence. It's something both parties (sender and recipient) can deal with "at their convenience" -- instead of the "sender" dictating when the conversation must take place, etc. Otherwise, I'm speaking with someone "face-to-face" -- again, at our mutual convenience (or *in*-convenience?).

I find it immensely useful for business contacts as it gives both parties a chance to think about what they want to say.

*And* provides a written record that they can each consult (ages ago, I used to spend time after each phone call transcribing notes regarding the discussion, commitments made during it, expectations, schedules, etc. Now, all of that comes for "free" -- and, less "misunderstandings" as there is a paper trail that can't easily be ignored).

I work odd hours so this also has the advantage that you

*can* get a message to me *and* get a reply in less time than if we played telephone tag ("He's in a meeting, can I have him call you back?" "No, I'm heading out for some commitments of my own... When is a best time for me to 'try again'?")

And, of course, you can supplement the "conversation" with documents, illustrations, etc. which voice communications don't readily support (because you usually don't *prepare* for a voice conversation the same way you do with written corresppondence)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Hmmm... I think you are probably SOL, there. Few places will even sell glass *prescription* lenses (Costco does -- but you have to accept their "photogray"/whatever).

I need glasses for distance so don't usually have them on when "working" (though I will wear glass "safety glasses" when working on suitably hazardous things in the yard, shop, etc.). For those things that I need a "magnifying glass" to read, I either use disposable 1.5X readers (I have a carton of them for just this purpose -- flimsy) or my B&L stereoscope (30-70X?) when inspecting boards, etc.

I just decided I didn't want to spend my life on the phone with folks who *do* want to spend theirs as such! :> I remind folks that *they* get paid while their on the phone; *I* don't get paid until I get something *done*! :>

Now, if you want to pay me T&M and let me bill *all* of the time I spend on your project (travel, phone, etc.) then that's another story (*you'll* quickly decide you don't want to tie me up with "idle chit chat" when it's *your* dime! :> )

I used to have two land lines (never carried a cell phone). Just decided it wasn't something I wanted in my life -- especially the Pavlov-esque relationship most folks have with phones! Life's just too short to spend it doing things that you don't delight in!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yikes! Not the sort of thing that would happen in my folks' neighborhood -- everyone watches out for each other and their properties (e.g., walk into my folks' house and there is a key rack by the door -- with keys to all of the neighbors' homes!).

In school, it ws not uncommon to have water running down the stairs (indoor) -- we would have "water fights" with garden hoses *indoors*. Administration obviously wasn't real happy with this :>

A neighbor (here) once had folks throw fluorescent lamps (tubes) into his pool and then tried to pelt them with *rocks*. (!) Makes you wonder what he did to prompt this sort of activity! :<

Reply to
D Yuniskis

snip

do they even make glasses with actual glass anymore? never had a pair that wasn't plastic

I wear presciption glasses ll the time so they are ofcourse expensive plastics with scratch resistant coarting and they they don't just lay around, they sit on my nose but they last for years without scratches.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Same here. But they must have come in the dead of night while the owners were on vacation. Watchful neighbors (us, during the dog walk) noticed and made sure it was turned off but the damage was done. Sometimes people show up in neighborhoods where it's clear they "don't belong there". For this stuff, all it took was very few hours and the damage was done.

Reply to
Joerg

Sure, but you have to special order them. They're expensive, too.

AFAIK, all plastic lenses have "scratch resistant" coatings. The kicker, for the optometrist, is the anti-glare coatings. I just bought a pair of lenses for my second pair (the ones that get scratched ;). The lenses (scratch resistant bifocals) were $75. If I wanted the anti-glare coating it was another $75.

Reply to
krw

Try out Zenni Optical. You can get 5 pairs with anti-glare for that $150. I'm terribly hard on reading glasses for some reason, so I buy lots.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Prescription bifocals? That asked, the ones I got from our vision plan weren't worth $20 (and I paid for the anti-glare coating).

Reply to
krw

Any prescription you like, in most varieties including progressives in photochromic PC. Bifocals are a bit more, but still very reasonable. Check it out.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Aside from a few "independant" (until *they* need something! :> ) neighbors, most of this neighborhood is pretty good at keeping an eye out for unusual activity. Cop across the street. Fireman two doors down. etc. Usually, problems don;t repeat themselves :>

(i.e., a call to the beat cop to park up the corner quickly cut down on the youngsters hot-rodding through the neighborhood).

I think a lot of it depends on how "connected" you are with those around you. I do a lot of walking so lots of people recognize me (though I typically don't recognize *them* when they drive by -- since I don't wear my glasses while walking). Distressing when someone approaches you in a store "all smiles" and you haven't a clue as to who they are :-/ (Had a pretty young lady approach me last week -- "You probably don't recognize me without my dogs..." :> )

Of course! Though the incident I mentioned happened ~20 years ago (before I moved here). And, as I said, "makes you wonder what he did to prompt this sort of activity"! :> (i.e., 1:3 homes have pools here -- yet I've never heard of anyone else getting "similar treatment"!)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

" snipped-for-privacy@f>>>>

for

I priced a random pair at about $40, not bad at all. Cheaper than the other online places I looked, too. They only charge $5 for the anti-reflective coating. The problem, like my optometrist, they don't have any lenses (at least that I found) large enough. These are something like 44x65. It's clear how "eye care" insurance plans can charge a couple of bucks a week, though.

Reply to
krw

Neat! (That you get to see foxes. Probably a downside to that, too.) He could use a stainless hose clamp with the magnet epoxied on to be fox/varmint proof, or some other variation, but who knows? It's really an exercise in camoflage. Maybe just a sound detector, where you knock on the pipe 3 times to turn the system on. (Apologies to T. Orlando & Dawn.) :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Not really. They are very tidy animals, never soil open pathways, and they sure keep their kits obedient. Seen that several times when one wanted to goof off or get our dogs all riled up. They trust us so much that they showed us their kits a few times and even had no problems nursing right there in the driveway, next to the garage.

But they are wild so we keep our distance. They don't have the same emotional bond to man as dogs do. I was kind of disappointed when one came back from winter quarters, I was at the barbecue and it walked right past me (so it obviously knew the property and that I could be trusted). No special looks, no tail wagging.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

" snipped-for-privacy@f>>>>>

them

3.5x,

are

for my

CAD work.

pair

expensive

they

kicker, for

of lenses

(scratch

it was

buy lots.

plan

other

anti-reflective

(at

clear

though.

And still only a modest "discount" on worthwhile frames.

Reply to
JosephKK

" snipped-for-privacy@f>>>>>>

for

lenses

It was about half (of what?) on my last pair of decent frames (which I wear around the house). Without the insurance you pay the full boat but there is a discount negotiated by the insurance company. The real value of the insurance is that negotiation. It's rather obvious that the "insurance" isn't. Costs for "eye care" are pretty well know ahead of time (I didn't buy it when I didn't need glasses), so there is no "insurance pool".

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Don Lancaster

A touch button could fit your needs. You don't even have to drill a hole in the casing.

The technique uses is capacitive sensing. The drawback is, that it isn't as simple as a mechanical button, because of the electronics involved.

Reply to
memristor