Waveform interpolation

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:31:13 -0700, Rev. 11D Meow! Gave us:

That's what *she* said.

Then Donald stepped in and started muttering about how he'll be good for women. The guy really is a joke.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Let's see, a 7.5 ips, 2 track, 1/4", tape slice would perform a decent, yet rapid, cross- fade at about 45 degree angle. You don't want to make it shallower than that, as the left-to-right swish starts being audible. The tracks are about 1/10" wide, so I'm going to say ...

75 Hz per inch, 750 Hz per 1/10", or about 0.05 * Nyquist.

This may fall under that category of useless trivia, but hey.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

bingo

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

my Internet sense of humor says, "Psssshaw".

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

inverse-square law for most panners

Reply to
Rev. 11D Meow!

You might be able to get away with nothing. Early CD players used mute if the CRC error was uncorrectable then smarter ones used last sample.

You could easily see it on an oscilloscope but for a short glitch event it was all but inaudible. Without knowing the nature of the waveforms being manipulated it is impossible to choose the best way to do it.

By comparison the burst of loud almost ultrasonic clicks or boiling mud when DAB/DTV sound goes haywire is really irritating.

Nearest neighbour will be more than good enough on a potentially noisy signal. Derivatives of numeric data are pretty ropey to begin with.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Do you have a reference where I could take a look at the gritty details (maths) of this filter? Thanks!

Reply to
bitrex

[with transitions to a secondary sampled signal]

_Digital_Signal_Processing_, Stanley, Dougherty, Dougherty; Reston Publishing Co., 1984 Chapters 7 and 8. The easiest way is infinite impulse response ( but that has time-lag features). The finite-impulse-response is a bit more work, but makes use of knowing the future samples (output, therefore, has a time-delay). The blending of multiple inputs isn't part of the filter math, but the filter does smooth any abrupt features.

Reply to
whit3rd