Wat happens to a capacitor if I expose it to excessive voltage

Would it explode, or short, or both? I am talking about small caps the size of a dime or so. Just curious. Thanks

Ignoramus31848

Yes ! ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Too much voltage, too much leakage current, way to much power in a small package, and WATT happens! Too many Watts. Epoxy coated tantalums probably pop most violently. Metal can types usually have pressure release valves and built-in fuses - not much fun. However, enough Watts will blow up anything. I work on equipment that runs on 480 VAC at currents up to 2000 amperes. Yep- a Megawatt....

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

:-)

As some some people noticed: Electronic parts work on smoke. If the smoke escapes, they cease to function...

Uwe Bonnes

"Ignoramus31848" schreef in bericht news:lUexf.6$ snipped-for-privacy@fe51.usenetserver.com...

In the good old days they often exploded. Nowadays most of them just give a hiss, bit of smoke and smell perhaps, and that's it. Bit of shame, really. TO-220 parts and many other semiconductors still have that exploding behaviour, at least occasionally, when asked for.

But why don't you try?

B A N G !

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Frank Bemelman ( snipped-for-privacy@xs4all.invalid.nl) wrote at Wednesday 11. January 2006 23:18 in sci.electronics.design:

I once had a reverse tantalum cap create a tiny hole and spit some its contents between two pins (reset-in and gnd) of the reset circuit. It took me quite some time to find the cause of the continuous reset.

--
Reinhardt Behm, Bodenheim, Germany, reinhardt.behm@t-online.de
Reply to

Dime size cap isnt going to be very exciting.

Try an old wax and foil tubular-- they sometimes spray the foil out like party streamers. Not good when the foil streamers go out across other components!

Reply to
grg

Often they will explode. When I was a kid I used to connect low voltage electrolytic capacitors right across the UK mains (240V) and watch the explosion.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Of course. If you really want a mess blow up a oil filled cap, say about the size of a finger.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Reversed electrolytics do have the great advantage that they sit there for a long while before erupting thereby adding to the surprise factor. Overcharging a PP3 alkaline battery has much the same effect, I was surprised to hear a machine gun going off in my work area one coffee break. It turned out the battery contained cylindrical cells about AAA size which were exploding in sequence. This created a fine shower of caustic potash and zinc granules all over the circuits on the bench which defied all normal cleaning methods. One cell remained intact when I investigated, but it decided to blow up a minute or two later in the rubbish bin.

Reply to
Derek Potter