Jaycar Plasma Globe. 'Hey, what happens if you increase the voltage?' *poof!*

Hey there everyone.

First post from a bit of an electronics newbie. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

Anyhow, I bought a little plasma globe from Jaycar recently (the batter operated ones) and decied to plug it into a variable voltage transformer.

It worked, but it didn't produce as much arcing as other globes I've seen, so I thought I'd try increasing the voltage, which had an immediate effect. Great! I thought. 'I wonder what happens if I increase the voltage even more'.

Well, let me tell you what happens - you blow something in the circuit board is what happens.

I've tested the components in the circuit with a multimeter abd they seemed to check out. Resistors still had correct value, Caps were still non-conductive of DC current.

However, there is what looks like a transformer although it's not quite the square shape I'm used to. It has 4 small leads and 1 larger lead (earth?).

It seems to have gone open circuit as there is conductance between all 4 pins.

I'd like to replace it, but it has no markings on it.

Any ideas what I replace it with? I have no idea what the ball park ratio would be for these circuits. Is the size of the Tranny an indicator of possible ratios?

The Tranny is about1 inch long by 2/3 inch wide and has a weird lobed shape

I'll try and post a link to a pic of the tranny later on, if that helps.

Thanks

-Markus

Reply to
Markus Aaptnews

It's probably a trigger transformer.

Reply to
budgie

What happens if you hit it with a hammer?

Reply to
lynt

Gee, as Kamahl would say "Why are people so unkind".

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Just do what every one else does, Take it back and complain, "It just stopped Working..."

I wanna another one....

Reply to
Allan

Really ! Wow.

Maybe you should try the same excersize on you stereo, video, TV, microwave oven, and other electronic devices to see what happen with the same 'performance-boost' method !

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

What's upset you Geoff, did your sheep knock you back?

Reply to
Borat

Who said that I'm upset. I am excited. (must get a variac, not a sheep that is...) I can't wait. My stereo will be muchlouder, although maybe only breifly.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Sorry... I thought there might be some smart people here who would know some answers.

My bad.

-Markus

Reply to
Markus

Markus, The transformer in this unit is specifically made for it and thus sadly will likely be unavailable from any regular supplier. If a suitable replacement could be found it would probably cost more than the entire unit from Jaycar.

If you were really keen you could probably unwind and rewind the transformer but this will not be easy or quick.

This transformer converts the low voltage DC in to several thousand volts to run the plasma globe.

A possible replacement may be an automotive ignition coil, however this will require completely different circuits to run the plasma globe.

The most likely failure point in the unit due to excessive voltage/current will be a transistor, not the transformer. Try replacing the three legged devices in the unit near the transformer with equivalent device if available.

Good Luck, Brenden Ede

Markus wrote:

Reply to
Brenden

Thanks Brendan

I'll try that

Cheers Mate

-Markus

Reply to
Markus

I suspect most people here are smart enough to realise that it is probably not conducive to prolong the life of electronic gear by powering it with more voltage that it was designed for.

What amazes me is that somebody would do that, blow up his gadget, then seemingly take pride in telling everybody just how dumb he was !

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

You've never blown anything up yourself? -not even when you were starting out? I find that hard to believe.

As I said, I'm a newbie. I even took the piss out of myself to that effect.

Newbies make a mess of things and then they learn from those mistakes. That's how learning works.

I came in with no attitude, and (with the exception of a few) all I got was smug 'har har har, aren't we all so much smarter than the new guy'. If you don't want to offer help, then fine - don't. But to pipe up simply to make fun of someone else is just mean.

I'm sure you people *do* know a lot more about electronics than I do - but I'm also sure there's a bunch of things I'm better at than you.

But if you start trying to learn some of the things I'm better at, I won't make fun of you, and I won't call you 'dumb', okay?

-Markus

Reply to
Markus

"Markus" wrote in message news:ectihd$pe6$ snipped-for-privacy@news-01.bur.connect.com.au...

I can speak only for myself. It was in pre-PC times, and I had made a robust power supply for a single-board computer. (AIM65) It was about one o'clock in the morning, I was dead tired, alone in the house, and checked it one last time and plugged it in. It was on the floor and I was leaning over it. It took a minute or two before one of the BIG electrolytics exploded and shot up to the ceiling and left a crescent-shaped scar that is still there. It missed me. It didn't blind me. I had more luck than I deserved. Wired in back-to-front, of course. But not deliberately.

Reply to
lynt

Don't worry about it Markus, you did well. You don't know electronics until you've actually blown something up, welcome to the club!

You'll learn a hell of lot by finding out *why* and *how* things blow up, invaluable knowledge that you won't learn from a book or a course.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah OK. I came in partway through and didn't see that your object was to find out and repair the item and learn.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Cool, no worries.