W7 64 bit

I use Vista 64 on my workstation w/ 12GB of RAM and it has been the most stable system I have ever run. I do use VMWare on it and, in fact, run Win7 64 bit in a VM with VERY respectable "Windows Experience" numbers. In the mid 7's across the board. It is nice to have a Win98SE, XP Pro, and Win7 64 VMs suspended and ready to run in seconds so I am looking at EXACTLY the same OS a customer is looking at. I don't get all the foot dragging and complaining about something they have no real experience in. Like the "I skipped over Vista because....." how would they know that if they skipped over it? From the Apple ads on TV? I certainly like Vista better than XP.

Reply to
WangoTango

Simple. Some of us get around and _see_ first-hand all the grief it has caused others.

Question: Would you jump off a 300ft cliff because someone told you that you had no clue whether or not it's dangerous because you never dunnit yourself? After having see a mangled lifeless body being pulled up by firefighters?

If you don't run any software that's incompatible with Vista, sure, go ahead. Many of us can't. Hint: If a manufacturer of a SW clearly states that it will not work with Vista why should a guy like me be so stupid and buy a PC with Vista?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Exactly right :)

Except with Oracle/Sun I'd be wary about their free software at the moment?

Though Sun's VirtualBox is generally considered second best after vmware, with MSFT's offering lots below others out there.

The free vmware server version 1.xx is pretty good, got a decent console. I didn't like server version 2 so much 'cos it's web based UI, which is fine for running some guest server VMs you don't need to actually watch.

Anyone running multiple monitors? Nothing better than having a guest OS fullscreen on the other monitor, running two OS at once ;)

Doesn't matter what host OS you use, you get good access to the 'other' guest OS very easily this way. It's as easy as running another machine FS with MSFT's RDP. Or the old VNC, for that matter.

MSFT's XP Mode is simply a preconfigured, free WinXP guest VM for Win7's (pro and up, 'home' msftware is for idiots) Virtual PC, that I've noticed no problems with. The VM even needs updates just like a 'real' WinXP SP3 too.

Grant.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Depends on what you want to run, Win7 (x64) doesn't run 16 bit apps, which WinXP will run. So maybe you have some really old apps you still use?

I've got a game (arachnid) written in 1991 that doesn't run on Win7, all I've noticed yet. And, I been running Win7 since the first public beta.

Mostly skipped Vista until about 6 months before Win7 came out. After all, Win7 internally is windows 6.1, a 'fixed' Vista. Bloatware with a pretty GUI.

Have you tried XP 64 bit? Virtually no drivers :( So if you need 64 bit for big number-crunching or large memory efficiency, you're probably better off with Linux or one of the *BSDs 64bit distros, if you don't like Win7. At least Win7 x64 can run all the 32 bit apps just fine.

John F. paints a dark picture 'cos he didn't stump up the cash for the pro version, I've noticed none of the downsides he mentions. MSFT have dumbed down their 'home' offerings for years, surprises me anyone would try to use home version for serious work.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

machine

I would've thought CAD would like gobs of memory? This win7 x64 box has

6GB, the other one 4GB. I'm not feeling an urgency to up the ram size, as it's rarely used.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Might become non-free some day. But I assume that wouldn't affect people who have it already installed. Plus it would really shrivel up their market share and thus visibility.

It's too long ago but IIRC I tried VMWare and wasn't happy for some reason.

Home isn't for idiots, it comes with most budget and mid-size machines, does the job. But Win7 Home obviously seems not to, after what percolated in the thread here. How can a company shoot themselves in the foot so badly, twice in a row? If old uncle Leroy buys a new computation machine and then some of his usual stuff ain't runnin' no more he's not going to be a happy camper. And he might make that clear rather loudly, then return his new computation machine for a refund because he won't have a clue why this is happening.

Nice. Is that a picture of your home in the middle right? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

machine

Not really. I have a fairly busy schematic open right now. Looked at Task Mgr and it's using 15MB. SPICE is running a sim in the background,

12MB.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

machine

Yes, several. Some are rather irreplaceable and the chances of new versions coming out are zilch, considering that the professors under whose tutelage the software was created have long since retired. In other cases the companies that made the SW are no longer in existence. I do a lot of specialty stuff, like beamformer designs and so on.

I sure doesn't sound "fixed" to me.

Well, I do. On laptops I don't see any sense in paying extra. It's XP, and it works. So I won't switch to a "new and improved" OS if that breaks things.

I completely fail to understand Microsoft's management. If I were a boss there I'd have had some friendly but distinct talks with the respective leaders there after the Vista debacle, regarding backwards compatibility. Now that they seem to have screwed things up again and people must downgrade to get some stuff to work, there would be less talk and more "selective layoffs".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Vbox works ok, it?s a little slow. But even XP on a XEN Virtual machine on a Xeon 4 core is slow too. And yes, its ok to 'try' stuff on.

Martin Riddle

I know, that's why I cling to XP. Makes no sense to have to buy a screaming fast machine just so you can run XP in a VM at regular speed. So far XP does all I need. If some new software came out that would not support it I'd be real suspicious and wouldn't buy it anyhow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--- I guess you missed the:

"So, of course, instead of buying all new software, or a new box to run XP on, or turning my W7 box into an XP box, I went for the $80 deal."

Which someone with your intelligence would certainly realize that's the cash you have to stump up to buy the key to unlock the pro version.

I guess it worked, because now when it boots up it says "Windows 7 Professional" or some such.

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

:

ote:

chine

n7

I use RealTerm, it works very well.

Reply to
Leon

ote:

chine

n7

I COMPLETELY agree. Of all the numerous platforms and operating systems I've ever had any meaningful experience with, I must say XP SP3 is by far the best.

I did a short "test-drive" on Vista when it first came out. My first (and lasting) impression was that is was a complete piece of shit, offering little more than transparent menu bars. Perhaps if MS hadn't moved everything around, and renamed it, just for the sheer hell of it....

Oh, and I found Vista tried to "do too much" for me, as it alwasy got in the way of what I wanted, particuarly file & directory management issues, etc...

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

It was written for the 'dimbulbs' of this world. The resident dimbulb was always praising it. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Scratch yet another scanner. HP4370. HP software not made for it with Win7. Not going to be. Win7 has a dumb-ass driver that talks to it, but none of the scanner functionality is retained (ie, press this button, do that, using this set of remembered settings) - just a basic dumb scan into some crappy successor to MSPaint or bad rip-off of iPhoto/Preview. Not quite completely useless, but useless enough to not be workable for the people trying to use it.

Other than that, Win7 seems OK, if piggish (not shocking, for some reason...), so far. Avoided Vista like the plague. Finally brought back simple scheduling for automatic defrag (who-hoo - something windows 98 (?) could do that 2000 and xp and probably vista could not!)

Ecnerwal

Michael A. Terrell

:

l machine

t Win7

ork.

up

ulb

Hey Mike, Hope all is well.!

You know, it occurs to me that XP, Vista, etc... also lost the old DOS "tree" command. I'm talking about how we used to be able to get a listing of a directory. You don't do that so much anymore with the newer OS's, but it is still useful on occasion.

I'll hype (plug) a neat little utility I found on the web that is really awesome for this task -- in case anyone ever needs to do it. Link:

I don't know the guy who wrote it, and I had used his earlier version for years. But this new version is very cool. You can select the directory, and "print" to either a text file, or HTML. You can also filter. It's better than the TREE command!

Enjoy!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

machine

I've used Directory Lister for a long time. dirlis06.exe Sunday, December 28, 2003, 8:55:48 PM

I've even used it to create HTML to display large groups of photos. Save the directory in HTML, then use search & replace to add to bracket the file name on each line.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

machine

On the other side of the coin, can you get drivers for the older legacy industrial automation (SCADA and ModBus) cards?

Reply to
JosephKK

All works but two problems:

  1. Lack of the drivers for the legacy hardware.
  2. There is no way to access any hardware directly from your program.

Vladimir Vassilevsky