Voltage regulator instability

Sorry been away setting up and testing these things. The transient current is 500 - 600 mA and it lasts about a second. Hard to tell with a multimeter. Two of my 3.3V regultors are measuring 2.7V, have they been damaged by being added to a 12V adapter with no caps you reckon? Or could they be originally faulty? The caps have made all the differemce BTW, the heater killer adapter now is stable.

Temperature is fine.

Reply to
suputnic

(snip)

I think that is possible, since large output swings might have also caused large output current spikes into this sort of load and caused damaging temperature spikes in the regulator.

We will never know, but new devices generally have a very low fault rate.

Good news.

Reply to
John Popelish

I wouldn't consider something that lasts a second being a transient. Granted, you don't have a current probe to make an accurate measurement, but a second is forever in the land of electromigration.

Reply to
miso