vlf transmitter hop up?

Greetings all,

We need a wireless dog fence, such as the PIF-300 shown at:

It forms a 90 foot diameter zone and runs at 17 khz. The transmitter weighs 5 pounds (not including the wall wart power supply).

I have no idea what's inside the think, but it's an expensive item, over $200 dollars for the transmitter and collar. I am hesitant to buy one without any idea whether I can improve the range!

We would like to buy one, but want 500-700 feet range. Since the collar assembly (the rx) is sealed, I was hoping to hop up the transmitter.

Does anyone have any experience with these beasts. I have no idea what type of antenna it uses, most likely a loop with a ferrite core and the coil makes a resonant circuit at 13 khz, probably has a single transistor....

My first thought is to add an external wire antenna, which should increase the range alot even though it still wouldn't be very efficient.

Does anyone have any practical knowledge of antenna technology at 17 khz? Best to add an amplifier or try to add an outbord antenna?

Thanks.

Al

Reply to
Albert