Multiple FM frequency transmitter

I am looking for investigating if it is possible to buy a multi frequency FM transmitter. I want to broadcast a FM signal out on the whole range of 87.5-108 MHz. i want the output to be limited to about a couple of hundred meters of diameter, does anyone have a clue if that is possible ?

Ive read about some PCI cards you can buy for your PC which should have a really powerfull output (i think about 15 kW) does anyone know if there are some cards which can broadcast on multiple frequencys'

Thx Nichlas

Reply to
Hans jkfa

OFDM

Try picoChip (Bath, UK) for suitable processors to perform the IFFT

Near-field antenna

Trying to take 3000A from your PC PSU will melt it long before it gets to your target output.

Reply to
Computer Man

Do you mean any frequency at a time, or ALL the standard frequencies simultaneously. Ramsey Electronics has a couple of kits that do the first. I don't even WANT to help you do the second :-(

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Ramsey Electronics has a line of AM and FM transmitters at

Available in kit form, but I think they are also available in assembled/tested form.

--
Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the
purpose.
Reply to
Dave M

Don Lancaster did a bit on this when he had his column in Radio Electronics (or maybe it had morphed to Electronics Now by the time he covered this specific topic).

Apparently there was a need for a transmitter that output on multiple channels. The example I remember was for real estate, where apparently they used low power transmitters to send a recorded message to passing cars, the sign saying something about turning on your radio, so they get the sales spiel without even stopping or dropping in. And they wanted multiple frequencies so nobody had to fuss over tuning to the proper frequency.

My memory says the column mentioned commercial products that did that, but it's been a while. He went into some ideas on how to do it, none of which I can remember now.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

[...]

An article I read somewhere (quite possibly the same article you're referring to) described doing this by generating a comb using logic gates to produce a sufficiently harmonic-rich signal, bandpass filtering it to the FM band, and then either mixing it with a baseband signal or varying the oscillator that produced the comb, in order to modulate all the individual carriers with FM audio.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
  "We learn from history that we do not learn from history." -Hegel

Generate the comb (200 KHz square wave fed into an ECL ff to divide by two to get 100 KHz with really fast edges, which means plenty of harmonics), bandpass filter that, amplify, and feed it into a mixer. You'll probably want a 20 MHz spread above 200 MHz or so, to make the bandpass filtering easier, and also so that the tilt on the comb spectrum isn't that great over the 20 MHx band you want.

Rather than a fixed LO going into the mixer, you want to FM the LO, so that the output of the mixer (bandpass filtered once again) is the FM'd combs 100 KHz apart.

Amplify to taste (but you're going to need a very good amplifier).

The amps have to have a *lot* of headroom -- each comb is fairly small, but you're amplifying all of them at once. That's a different problem...

--
Namaste--
Reply to