very OT broken glass

We got to the cabin and the temperature indoors was erratic. The heater ran forever. Seems like a giant hunk of ice slid off the roof and took out a window on the way down.

I had my data logger running,

and the choppy part is where we arrived and someone opened the door to that room without noticing the temperature and all the glass on the floor.

Here's the fix:

We'll replace both sides, since the seals are shot.

Seems like 3/4 of my problems lately are thermal.

Reply to
jlarkin

I always have some plexiglass on hand for such things. Temporary fix until you get real glass.

Martin Rid

Not worth it to replace deteriorating windows at end of life. Replace the whole assembly.

Jeld-Wen is a possibility and lots of installers who can go right to it installing them

You can't complain about the price with them.

Fred Bloggs

The Brat decided to clean up the garage and threw out my scrap wood+metal pile. I plan to disown her.

I went to Mountain Hardware, the local everything store, and they cut me a custom piece of plywood for about $40. Yikes. But it fit the outside of the frame perfectly.

A sheet of plastic sounds like a good idea.

The window guy was chatty and told me about a woman who was sitting on her couch reading, when a giant icicle smashed through the window and missed spearing her by a couple of feet.

Reply to
jlarkin