cell phone / tablet USB host ?

Recent experience (first) with a Lenovo Tab 8 had me scratching my head.

It's USB (~charging) port could communicate with a PC for file transfer, but couldn't read a memory stick. This with all the recommended OTG cabling.

Why would you stick a communicative USB port on a battery-operated device and then restrict it from acting as a USB host?

Is this normal?

Is this sane?

I know there are a multitude of other methods of com available for these devices, but why not simple USB stick transfer?

RL

Reply to
legg

legg snipped-for-privacy@nospam.magma.ca> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Isn't a tab 8 about 8 years old?

Also some chip reader/usb port devices do not mandshake nicely in every case.

As old as I remember those being, that may have been back in the virus on a stick days. So they put extra security in. No connection is as secure as it gets, eh?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is for USB. Devices are either controllers or targets (formerly known as masters and slaves.)

Does anyone know of devices that can do both?

It's sad that USB was not designed as a real bus.

My smartphone requires "OTG" to be allowed in Settings/Additional Settings. Get sane and RTFM...

Reply to
Mike Coon

A true OTG device can do both. But implementing a true device is a different story.

Reply to
Ed Lee

You should see the manual and the 'settings' window on this thing (and what it doesn't include).

The OTG harness is here, but if the 'settings' only allows choice of USB transaction type and niether mentions hosting, you're plumb out of luck. Wrong toy for the job. Just had higher expectations (and those were pretty low to begin with). Brought in just to cover a simple bluetooth com app - figured I'd see what it could do with some ADC, thermometry, logging or SDR dongles - for which hardware and apps are available for PC . . . and for 'android'.

Quad core ARM Cortex A35 ARMV7-A 64bit in a MediaTek SOC. Android 7, last patched in 2019.

What's all this GooglePlay crap anyways? Do I really want to know?

RL

Reply to
legg

those that are OTG (On The Go)

The end that has the extra ID pin (avalible on mini/micro/C) pulled to ground becomes host, So you need a cable that has the right connections

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 19.40.58 UTC+1 skrev legg:

it's where you download apps, equivalent to Apples App Store

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

USB was a master/slave 'bus'. The master (host) was the sole source of electrical power to run your mouse, keyboard, speaker, etc. So, a master could charge a phone. The phone, on the other hand is a slave (and thus won't try to provide regulated power on the bus).

OTG was the name of the change that made it possible to power a gizmo from a phone, and it ONLY worked with micro-USB connector (they had to use an extra pin). Maybe your Lenovo was not OTG-compatible, or maybe it has a bad extra pin. I've been able to use OTG-connect memory sticks with iPad and Android tablets, but there's some wierdness (takes a special app on the iPad, and reformatting the stick is verboten).

What's the file system on the memory stick?

Reply to
whit3rd

Download? Where's the download option? It's install or uninstall.

I'd be happy to download and install it myself, though this isn't as easy as it could be. Tablet couldn't even see two .apk files in an APPS folder that I created using usb file transfers from PC. Apparently the file system partially mirrors itself without giving instructions on navigating on one side or the other - can't get there from here. Tap, Tap, Swipe, Swipe, Tap, Tap, TAP-TAP Bloody TAP.

And what's this locating service that must be enabled before an app will run? Not just enabled, but set to High-Def (all com modes). And if it's so 'HighDef', then why does the tablet tell me that I'm currently located at the intersection of two parallel streets? . . . when I didn't even ask?

Ok , Ok, I'll wait till the right toy comes along. Where are the junk shops when you need them?

RL

Reply to
legg

They're all FAT-32

I haven't tried a powered usb bus port yet. Lack of 'settings' doesn't predict well.

We used to laugh at the 'help' drop-down option in MS OSs. Nothing to laugh at in this thing.

RL

Reply to
legg

søndag den 6. februar 2022 kl. 21.12.27 UTC+1 skrev legg:

sure, and install obviously downloads first

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ed Lee snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:b3d46de3-2da8-478c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeah... look what happened to you.

No truth there.

Another retarded Lee crack from his lower Le Crack.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Silly.

Reply to
Ed Lee

It's called "USB on the go" and is fairly common in portable devices. such devices will have an mini or micro AB shaped socket, (or more recently many have C)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I have a Lenovo TB-850SF with Android 10 and it has no problem reading USB memory sticks. I don't recall having to enable anything.

Google doesn't like local file transfers, because that enables you to manage content they can't spy on. That can be the only explanation for why they haven't put an SMB server into Android, and all the standard file transfer apps are so crap.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That doesn't make sense. You can do any file transfer with a PC and slave Android. I prefer to transfer from PC anyway, even will another USB stick on the PC.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Oh, it makes sense, all right. You can't install an application with 'file transfer' because you can't access the directory where apps reside. You can't even inspect the filesystem except within a walled-off area (try, for instance, to find a fonts folder, or a picture file from a text message).

Maybe there's developer tools that can explore the walled garden...

Reply to
whit3rd

You can do it all with rooted device. The protection is for accidental messing up of files, just like a typical Linux system.

Reply to
Ed Lee

By the way, why can't you install apps or transfer files with ADB (Android Debugger)? ADB will take care of all the details without rooting (by-passing security) the device. And if you must root it, be sure to turn off the cell radio, or your phone is wide open to Russa, China, Iran, N. Korea, etc. There are reasons for the phone's tight security.

Reply to
Ed Lee