varicaps?

Maybe because Tesla drivers aren't supposed to be listening to Rush Limbaugh? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, it's just that the energy then comes out of the bank account of the recipient, to pay for the pricey cell package. And where I was today 5G would not have reached anyhow (access only on foot, via mountain bike or on a horse).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm not totally certain, but the tempco of a varicap is similar (and opposite) to the tempco of a 30V Zener, which is why lots of TVs have a 30V supply to the tuner.

The other possibility is that the characteristic curve of the varicap runs out before it gets near breakdown. The sweeping out of charge from the depletion region is highly dependent on the doping, and getting near-linearity in sensitivity over the range is why 'hyperabrupt' doping was invented.

So, either the curve gets ugly at 8V, or the whole process line is optimized for 30V (and low-V spec operation gets good yield using lower breakdown).

Reply to
whit3rd

The ceramic caps that have large voltage coefficient ALSO have hysteresis; the phase won't be right at the decode transformer. So, regular-old-diodes make a bit more sense. And, at 100 kHz, the driven windings won't need so very much fine wire (transformers get smaller and much less expensive). That also makes shielding and decoupling easier.

Mostly, your target circuit is what's in a MiniCircuits ADE-6+, if you go to a higher drive frequency...

Reply to
whit3rd

Good thing it's not your car then. You would have to invest in a radio from the dollar store.

Not much on AM. Talk shows mostly. They don't interest me. If someone recorded and distilled them down to the very few interesting callers and guests, it might be worthwile, but nothing to pass a couple of hours listening to live.

I'm a big fan of Slacker these days.

Of course, because FM is a bit high frequency to do in software. XM even more so. AM only requires a crystal diode, a coil and a capacitor.

The bean counter is affected by strong signals? Wow, that must be some seriously strong signals.

I drive right by an FM station antenna and never seem to have any trouble. Oh, you are talking about those MW AM stations that are quickly becoming obsolete.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rickie C

I didn't realize he is AM only, but that seems about right.

I remember when he was accused of telling Floridians to ignore the hurrican e warnings and not to evacuate, then flew out of the area. So I went to hi s web site where they have transcripts of his shows. He didn't tell people to ignore the warnings. He mostly flapped his gums about the stores charg ing more for water and batteries after they sold out and it was very hard t o get fresh supplies sent down the peninsula. THEN he flew north to safety .

The biggest take away I got from reading the transcript, which can be done with much more dispassion, was that he, much like Trump, seldom says anythi ng. He talks around issues with tremendous inflection and emotion so as to inflame his listeners,,, but seldom says anything material.

It's the idiots who listen to him, letting themselves be riled up into a fr enzy. I've had conversations with Trump supporters/Limbaugh listeners who love to spew sound bites, but can't actually discuss issues. They just fli p to the next sound bite. I would focus on a single issue, not saying anyt hing, just asking questions until it was clear the issue was bogus. But th en she would flip to the next sound bite. After doing that three times I r ealized you can't argue logic to someone who is emotionally vested in a con clusion.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rickie C

I don't know what the big deal is about 5G. It is faster cell phone servic e so that in dense cities you can pay the cell phone companies for all your data needs rather than paying the "cable" companies for the same thing. I suppose some people watch movies on their cell phone, but really? It's no t really anything you can't get now, except it will be from the cell compan ies instead of the cable companies.

Larkin is funny. Talk about math challenged... 50 kW radiated is around $

0.25 per hour. Factor of 2 from efficiency issues - hell make it 4 - gives $1 per hour. Maybe that's why he doesn't seem to understand electric cars . He can't even do the math of how cheap they are to run. I wonder if he ever looks at the electric bill from his business.
--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rickie C

--------------------------- >

** Really?

In the USA, domestic power cost about 12c per kWH

I expect a big user would get a discount, say to 10c per kWH

50 x 10 = 500 or $5.
** Pot calls Kettle ??

" Tesla is not a brand, it's a Cult".

.. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Huh? 50 kW radiated is close to $5 per hour around here. Heck, you could get A PARKING SPOT DOWNTOWN with that much money.

Reply to
whit3rd

ice so that in dense cities you can pay the cell phone companies for all yo ur data needs rather than paying the "cable" companies for the same thing. I suppose some people watch movies on their cell phone, but really? It's not really anything you can't get now, except it will be from the cell comp anies instead of the cable companies.

$0.25 per hour. Factor of 2 from efficiency issues - hell make it 4 - giv es $1 per hour. Maybe that's why he doesn't seem to understand electric ca rs. He can't even do the math of how cheap they are to run. I wonder if h e ever looks at the electric bill from his business.

The electric bill for WACX TV in the late '80s was over $45,000 a month for their NTSC 130 KW Comark UHF transmitter. It was running at least 162 h ours a week. That was just under $70 an hour. The electric costs for the ma in building and studios added to that. We had a ten ton AC just for six rel ay racks of video tape, and the master video processing system. You have no clue about the actual costs to maintain any Broadcast facility. The tower cost alone, was over a million dollars to build.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

nd $0.25 per hour. Factor of 2 from efficiency issues - hell make it 4 - g ives $1 per hour.

If the power company can sell me power at $0.08/kWh I think they can sell i t to a mass user at a better rate. In fact they can contract independently for the electricity generation and transmission and get that way down.

Even paying full retail rates, is $5/hr "expensive" for a commercial enterp rise??? I guess that's why the big box stores turn off all their signs and lights at night. lol

For some people. Other people just like driving electric cars with all the advantages they bring. Others rag about how they can't be driven in the w inter or uphill without ever looking at any real data. Others yet just lik e to rag without having either an opinion or any knowledge on the topic.

You are like Larkin, a *nasty* piece of work. I'm surprised you haven't li t in with the profanities. Whatever. It's not like you had anything to sa y.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Yeah, I dropped a decimal point. Here that wouldl be two parking spots!

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

----------------------

** IOW absolute peanuts.

The receptionist plus coffee lady cost more in wages and overheads.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

he

5G

or

[...]

You didn't grasp the problem. Larkin was talking about the power used to t ransmit the signal. It doesn't matter how you transmit the images, they st ill have to be made and distributed. It's just the transmitted signal that changes, wifi distributed all over a city with hundreds or thousands of sm all devices or one large transmitter. It's not rocket science, but Larkin doesn't like math. He picked a large number and ran with it.

Maybe it's not math he has trouble with but actually just understanding num bers. I guess he likes Spice because it provides pretty pictures.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Are you ever going to grow up? Lets see you build and operate a station on peanuts. The annual operating costs were around $3,000,000 a year, you pathetic, inbred fool.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

transmit the signal. It doesn't matter how you transmit the images, they still have to be made and distributed. It's just the transmitted signal th at changes, wifi distributed all over a city with hundreds or thousands of small devices or one large transmitter. It's not rocket science, but Larki n doesn't like math. He picked a large number and ran with it.

umbers. I guess he likes Spice because it provides pretty pictures.

You never grasp anything, you just change the subject rather than admit your incompetence.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

to transmit the signal. It doesn't matter how you transmit the images, the y still have to be made and distributed. It's just the transmitted signal that changes, wifi distributed all over a city with hundreds or thousands o f small devices or one large transmitter. It's not rocket science, but Lar kin doesn't like math. He picked a large number and ran with it.

numbers. I guess he likes Spice because it provides pretty pictures.

t your incompetence.

Sorry, that is the subject. No one ever said anything about running a radi o station. Only powering a 50 kW signal. I figured there would be some la rge efficiency losses, but that wasn't what Larkin was talking about.

That was his entire post. Not the station, not even the transmitter, the " radiated RF".

So did I change the topic?

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Selectivity ahead of the mixer was needed in the old days due to mediocre mixers, usually a single transistor biased into non-linearity. These mixers produced all kind of mixing products, including images, mixing between all harmonics and letting RF and LO frequencies through.

Using strong double balanced mixers (e.g diode rings), much of the problems disappeared. By using a higher first IF, it is also easy to get away with the image frequency response. Thus, fixed tuned high pass filters below low end of the band and low pass above the band is usually sufficient.

In battery powered equipment, in which the power consumption is the premium issue, very strong mixers can't be used, but in car and mains powered receivers the use of strong high power mixers is not a problem.

Reply to
upsidedown

No big problem, we can fix it in software :)

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Hi George, the four diodes can be thought of as switches driven by the

60Hz drive alternatly connecting the signal from the out-of-balance caps in and out of phase to the output - or in other words being a phase sensitive detector. Look up ring modulator or double balanced diode mixer.

However the input stage is probably wrong - I thought the hi-K caps worked like varicap diodes but as Joeron and Whit3rd commented that assumption is wrong.

piglet

Reply to
piglet