varicaps?

** Really??

** AM has major technical advantages in relation to range and simplicity/ reliability of receiving equipment.

Here in Australia we have thousands of AM transmitters, private and Govt owned and rely on them at times of emergency to get crucial info out to the public.

Example the recent, severe bush fires.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If someone were designing an AM radio these days, quite likely they would use a chip for the radio receiver circuitry, and those quite likely would have a PLL with the VCO integrated on the chip, e.g. TDA7786. So, the market for discrete varactors suited to the AM band may have gone away regardless of whether AM radios stay popular.

Reply to
Chris Jones

In many countries in Europe the domestic MW/SW stations have been closed for more than a decade ago and also foreign services have also been shut down a few years ago.

Domestic services using ground wave (and NVIS) was useful when the distance between transmitter sites was large. These days when cellular phones need quite close distances. there are also a large number of sites for low or medium power FM/DAB transmitters and more and more radio programs are received directly through the cellular network.

Reply to
upsidedown

Maybe for the base level Honda Civic and the Yugo. These days you get an X M radio if you want it or not and the same electronics receives AM/FM witho ut an extra chip. That is likely why AM was left out of the Tesla radio. It's not worth the bother of adding the passives required to filter the ban d.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Some of which are quite low power and some are operated only once a month.

The movement started in some countries (especially in Germany) after WWII when most of the MW frequencies were taken away after WWII.

Why do you need a large range, when there are a huge number of transmitter sites due to the cellular networks. ?

Do they have their own emergency generators capable of running for at least a weak ?

Reply to
upsidedown

-------------------

** Pure speculation - not fact.

Yawnnnnn....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**This is NOT a comprehensive list.

** Drivel.

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're going to need a bigger transistor. Try a BC847/2N3904 ?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Well perhaps we should speculate instead that the chip companies make the integrated radio ICs as some kind of decorative ornament, rather than something that is sold in quantity for use in radio receivers. No, we shouldn't speculate that, it is surely fact!

Reply to
Chris Jones

Times have changed for sure. Look at the Silicon Labs Si4735 for example. Just one chip for LW, SW, AM and FM bands. Oh yes, it does RDS too. No filter coils, no varicaps. A radio with one of these looks nothing like what radios used to look like inside. The only giveaway they still retained is a ferrite antenna rod.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I'm guessing that a varicap is doped to be, well, a varicap. They have delta-c catios like 6:1 over some voltage range. Looks like transistor junctions have much flatter c:v curves. So the tempco contribution will be a lot higher if I use a transistor.

I've ordered some singles, Skyworks parts in the horrible SC79 package, and my 4-layer proto board should be here soon. If the board house doesn't shut down.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Yes I think you're right about the flatter c:v curves. You only want

0.2pF swing so will have quite a lot of padding down.

I hooked up an SMD BC848C to the Boonton and got these: Ccb (E open*)

0V 4.0pF 0.5V 3.2pF 1V 2.8pF 2V 2.36pF 3V 2.05pF 4V 1.85pF 5V 1.71pF 6V 1.60pF 7V 1.50pF 8V 1.42pF

Cceb (E tied to B)

0V 4.29pF 0.5V 3.54pF 1V 3.16pF 2V 2.69pF 3V 2.40pF 4V 2.20pF 5V 2.05pF 6V 1.92pF 7V 1.83pF 8V 1.75pF

A thru-hole version was Ccb (e open):

0V 5.35pF 0.5V 4.55pF 1V 4.12pF 2V 3.56pF 3V 3.19pF 4V 2.95pF 5V 2.72pF 6V 2.52pF 7V 2.33pF 8V 2.16pF

A thru hole RF part MPSH10 Ccb (e open):

0V 1.23pF 0.5V 1.09pF 1V 1.02pF 2V 0.94pF 3V 0.89pF 4V 0.86pF 5V 0.84pF 6V 0.82pF 7V 0.8pF 8V 0.79pF

A 4.3V 400mW zener was:

0V 211pF 0.5V 183pF 1V 168pF 2V 149pF

A junk box T1 red LED:

0V 28.4pF 0.5V 25.9pF 1V 24.4pF 2V 22pF 3V 20.4pF 4V 19.1pF 5V 18pF 6V 17.3pF 7V 16.6pF 8V 16pF

  • I tried the NPN bjts Ccb-e and Cb-ce i.e. involving the base-emitter junction - as expected the capacitance was higher at 12 to 16pF at zero bias falling to 6-8pF at 6V (didnt go higher to avoid breakdown) but I noticed that the low bias capacitance values looked jittery and only settled down above about 2V.

My junkbox has some wire ended varicaps somewhere so next coffee break I will try those too.

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Fun, If I can riff on the physics. The variable C is caused by changes in the depletion width. So what sort of devices would have a large variation? PIN photodiodes? maybe c-b junc of high voltage transistors? What else?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

An epitaxial PN junction makes an 'abrupt' varactor. Hyperabrupt devices have increased doping near the junction, declining as you get further away. Those typically have capacitance ratios of 10:1, but can reach 30 or more.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, one can get the depletion zone narrower (higher C) by approaching forward bias but that quickly stops getting useful above 0.6 - 0.7V.

Heh - that reminds me try that Red LED in the pre-forward bias direction. Thanks.

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

Besides C-ratio, the other important FOM for a varactor is Q. Highly-doped diodes are the ticket for that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Aren't emitters highly doped? Does that mean I could explore B-E junctions as poor-man's varicaps?

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

That was commonly done BITD. Unfortunately Rbb' is generally much higher than the emitter or collector resistances.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That was commonly done BITD. Unfortunately Rbb' is generally much higher than the emitter or collector resistances.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Very nice data.

I could use a high-capacitance part and pad it down with a series NPO, but that's messy. I want a high C ratio part, like a real varicap, to avoid the high baseline value of a low-slope diode. The baseline capacitance just sits there wrecking my tempco and slowing down my control loop.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin