Using mosfet as a zener

I used IPP05N03 from Infineon (30 V, 5 milliohm, TO220)

It avalanches about 39 V at 1,3 Amps and 43 V at 2,3 Amps. Initially the voltage is volt or so higher but drops in few hours See graph:

Time is in tens of seconds, I have better things to do than fight with OpenOffice. (12117=33.7 hours)

-ek

You'd get more predictable performance by placing a proper zener between drain and gate, with a suitable gate shunt resistor for zener biasing.

The mosfet has better energy handling characteristics when not in avalanche.

RL

Reply to
legg

"legg" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, the avalanche voltage is not too precise

This is the more interesting part: It is actually just the other way!

I tried that zener (27 V) + resistor (1k) circuit, and it turns into a short circuit at about 50 W dissipation. 50 W at 30 V is way out of SOA Datasheet:

If the gate is grounded, then it can dissipate 100 W @ 43 V no problem I assume that at 100 W dissipation the die in a TO220 package is near max temp.

-ek

I'm unaware of any record of mosfet avalanche testing that would agree with your findings.

Have you scoped voltage and current waveforms during avalanche? Some metering is highly susceptible to the emi that accompanies avalanche or even improperly-biased controlled zenering.

I have one meter that can even be convinced to flash it's low battery indicator, if unproperly screened in such a test set-up. Under no circumstances trust internal shunt readings of meters with long leads.

RL

Reply to
legg