TVS used as a zener

Can a 1.5KE series TVS be used as a zener with a dC bias.

Sat I have a circuit that is fed by a 50mA current source that on fault conditions pulses up to 500mA for ~10mS.

The circuit needs to clamp at between 33 and 40V. I have a 36V 1.5KE already in the circuit for transient protection of a 30V line elsewhere but was wondering if I could use the same part for this zener application.

Reply to
mook johnson

Don't see why not :)

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

Sure. Read the transzorb data sheet, especially the curves. A Vishay

1.5KE36 has a min/max drop of 32.4/39.6 at 1 mA, so it's close to what you need. The "A" version is tighter.

A transzorb is just a big sloppy zener. Except the bidirectional ones are two big zeners.

John

I've been told a significant difference is that transzorbs are generally designed to fail short-circuit whereas one typically expects a Zener to fail open-circuit...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I've popped a few different zeners and they fail shorted every time unless I have enough juice to bend the leads the opposite way they were installed. :)

Reply to
mook johnson

I suspect if it failed to short circuit, the failure would be temporary...

Reply to
PeterD

Yup. Any diode will fail open if you have the right number of amps available.

John

ge

ail

I would want my zener to fail short-circuit, if I have a choice.

Reply to
linnix

Right, the idea (it was explained to me) is that they're first short and then remain shorted long enough (assuming you've sized it correctly) to blow the in-line fuse.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

then

he

Correct, I spec my zener: 30W-NO, 50W-SC, 1MW-OC

(NO: Normal Operation, MW: MegaWatt)

Reply to
linnix

Yup, they achieve proper zener voltage just one more time. For a few picosecond ... *PHOOMP*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.