Using an AC-to-AC wall wart transformer/adapter in reverse

NO

I am still taking your measure from my perspective. You are (or could/should be) doing the same with the many personalities you have chosen to expose yourself to. Turnabout is fair play. I do not suffer a fool gladly. It is not nice, it is not pretty, it is who i am. As a consequence i bark or bite when a more measured response will be better received.

Reply to
JosephKK

with NO

Well, I suppose it's much easier to lay claim to knowledge if you feel no need to demonstrate the truth of the claim. There are many who think they're an expert merely because they know the terminology.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

When it's loosely coupled. A good example is the wall wart Ma Bell used to give ^H^rent you to light up your Princess phone. Open circuit was say

15 volts, but with one phone's lamps, it was 8, etc. Point was, it was short circuit proof; it could run into same and never get hot.
& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn\'t close).........................pob 1433
David Lesher

I still have a Princess phone. There never was a wall wart for it. They are exchange powered. Maybe you had a vastly different model that looked the same.

Reply to
JosephKK

Eh? MANY years ago we had a Princess phone. But it had a wall-wart of sorts... transformer with screw-terminals and ordinary phone hook-up wire from there to phone.

...Jim Thompson

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/1702-pink.html

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/princess-light-transformer-modular.html

JF
Reply to
John Fields

That's relatively new ----^^^^^^

Our circa 1970 transformer has screw terminals for the output.

...Jim Thompson

http://204.202.11.159/tamuracorp/clientuploads/pdfs/engineeringdocs/212AS06020.pdf

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
That one does too; Take a look at the different views.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Aha! That's the way I remember it.

...Jim Thompson

Princess phone was in master bedroom, but transformer was located remotely in a service closet.

...Jim Thompson

That one's linear, AC to DC, with horrible regulation: 10.5V -> 6V NL-FL Here's one that's just a transformer with better specs: 16V -> 12V NL-FL

http://204.202.11.159/tamuracorp/clientuploads/pdfs/engineeringdocs/212AS12012.pdf

JF

Reply to
John Fields

In article ,

IIRC, the original Princess had incandescent lighting for the dial. The phone would work fine (without lighting up) on an ordinary phone line, but did require the wall wart for the dial to light. There was apparently a low-level "night-light" glow when the phone was on-hook... and this *had* to come from a wart rather than from the exchange, as phones aren't permitted to draw more than a tiny amount of current from the line when on-hook.

I believe I recall that the wall wart was designed with a mounting ring, through which you could fasten the wall-outlet-plate screw, so that the wart was secured into the outlete and could not come loose.... >search

Reply to
Dave Platt

Mine needed the wall-wart.

...Jim Thompson

The *phone* was exchange powered--it was the lighted dial that needed the wall wart, so it wouldn't go out when you hung up the phone.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

*All* phones are "exchange-powered". Only the doo-dads need a wall-wart (or batteries).

...Jim Thompson

Tell that to someone with FiOS. Comes with a nice battery pack for your furnace room---which you get to maintain.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My son has that. Me I just have an ordinary POTS telephone service. (And UPS's on the phone system so the wireless stuff keeps working during a power outage ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Amen. That's why I have DSL even though it costs nearly the same.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs