Use for 75R : 480K Ohm Avionics Transformers

While doing a workshop cleanout, I found have a half dozen avionics transformers manufactured by Raytheon.

The primary is 75 R and the secondary is split 480,000 R. It is rated at 400 volts.

They are in shielded cans, about 50mm H by 40mm dia. Look very high spec.

I am wondering if they are worth hanging on to.

Does anyone have any ideas on how such transformers might be useful for experiments or non-military applications? Either with the shielding can intact or removed.

Mark Granger

Reply to
Mark Granger

Battery operated current source ?

Reply to
jurb6006

hmm 80:1 turns ratio, 400v in 5V out

or perhaps the ther way round...

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

So you have a 1:80 center-tapped 400 Hz transformers.

--

-TV
Reply to

the latter with a doubler rectifier for insulation testing. I forget what voltage defibrillators & shock 'treatment' machines use.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like a current transformer spec. And that should be more like 400Hz and not 400V.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Actually, it's both. Exact specs are 400H-4KHz, 355 working volts. 20 DBM.

I am thinking of pulling the can off and using it as a magnetic field sensor.

I wonder what these would cost new today?

Mark Granger

Reply to
Mark Granger

Hz and not 400V.

Okay, that's a low power audio balun transformer of some kind. It terminate s a hardwire transmission with transformer isolation for common mode reject ion and provides identical impedances to GND from each input for maximum re jection of electric field coupling. They were probably pricey in their day, mostly for the environmental ruggedness, but I would be surprised if they' re worth more than their weight in scrap now, unless they have historical o r collector value to some wacko somewhere.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

--
Check out MIL-T-27E at

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-T/MIL-T-27E_10365/

To find out what a new one would cost today, you might want to Google
the military part number.
Reply to
John Fields

--
They'd be expensive.

Check this out from the stony ages:

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/MicroTran/Microtran_miniature_transformers_catalog_1974.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

They've probably been obsolete for 30 years now, replaced by superior performance electronics.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Try posting them to a few audio sites e.g.

and etc. They might have reasonable bandwidth at a lower impedance (8-50 ohms)?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams