"About 12 gauge" is hardly an engineering statement. Didn't they use a micrometer?

Possibly 2mm diameter.

(maybe slightly

#12 wire is 2.053mm dia. #10 is 2.588.

Best practice would be to wind for the same number of amp-turns as before.

From wire tables, changing from #12 to #10 wire,the resistance of the same number of turns will decrease by a factor of approximately 0.6. The current will correspondingly increase by a factor of approximately 1.6, hence so will the amp-turns, assuming the supply voltage stays constant. How much the strength of the magnet will increase depends upon the magnetic properties of the magnet iron. If the magnet was originally operated close to saturation, the increase in pulling strength may not be very much.

The power dissipated in the copper is proportional to current squared, hence 1.6 for the same voltage. The coil will run hotter.

There's also the issue of supply regulation. Will the transformer supply the increased current without significant voltage drop?

Why did they rewind it using #10? Didn't they have any #12? I'm surprised they didn't have metric sizes, there are a lot of Japanese and European motors around.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Now you're just teasing the donkey, who can only count to four that way...

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to

You're wayyyy off base...

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

motor

How do you know what the standard diameters are?

With AWG, you know the "next size up" (number--) and the "next common size up" (next even number down)

To double the diameter, you go down by about 6 AWG sizes. To halve the resistance you go down by about 3 AWG sizes.

I really don't see much reason to ever change from the AWG system.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

motor

Neither do I. However, Eurocrap is cropping up all over, plus Japanese and Chinese.

I've never needed sizes below 0.5mm dia. Above that, steps of

0.5mm seem to be readily available.

It's easier working with diameter when setting pitch on winding machines, or calculating stator slot fill. I guess that's why metricrats use diameter for magnet wire, not square millimeters like for cable.

I still use circular mils sometimes.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

No, my position is pretty safe.

Reply to
krw

[snip]

That's how I met my future father-in-law. ;-)

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

All your base are belong to us

Reply to
Ron

SNOOORT!

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

The USA is 'supposed' to be metricated. hy you choose to be so backward never fails to amaze me. Any given wire gauge covers a wide range of cross-sectional areas. At least you know what you're getting with mm2.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

motor

It is indeed. AWG does not specify an explicit conductor CSA.

TOTALLY universal except for the USA, Liberia and Burma / Myanmar, both somewhat backward countries you have chosen to retain compatability with. Some might say the USA is rather backward too. The high level of belief in religion is one pointer to that.

understand

Conversion is a waste of time and a source of errors. There is only ONE system of units I need for engineering.

And what did you get from going to the Moon ?

Furthermore we have ESA

and Galileo

It knocks spots off GPS.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

motor

Oh dear ! Is that how it was specified ? At what temperature btw ?

Graham

due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

What an absurd comment. Do you have 12 fingers so you can count in inches to the foot ?

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

LOL ! Give me a thou over a 'mil' anyday. Only the Americans could confuse a metric prefix with an old unit.

Not to mention that if you use the word 'mil' in the UK it means a millimetre.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

motor

I didn't go bonkers at all. I just picked an easy target to stir you up.

We can convert too, you know. Thankfully only an issue for you lot.

Why don't you use it ?

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

I don't see cubits mentioned there.

Graham

due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

motor

Well, it IS used for things other than magnets. To be pedantic it's *enamelled* btw.

Or both.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

What's the matter, challenging for you?

Reply to
Jamie

I will try to remove the bad taste with a swig of Coffee/rooibos.............. Nah, that failed.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry