Mating different size 2-hole lugs

Hey all. I just wanted to get your opinions about something.

I have a project where I want to join two cables together using Panduit 2- hole lugs. One of the cables is 6 AWG and the other is 2 AWG. The application is an electric rail vehicle traction motor connection. The part numbers I'm considering are LCCX2-38D-E (2 AWG) and LCCX6-38D-L (6 AWG).

The hole spacing and the hole diameter are the same for both so they should mate up without issue. The potential problem is that the width of the two lugs is slightly different, 0.7" versus 0.62". I'm not used to mating up different sized flat lugs. Usually both sides are the same part number so they mate up perfectly.

Is there any caveats to look out for? Is this accepted in industry? Is there an alternative better way to do this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Mocha

The rational way is to bolt them tog enter with a steel nut and bolt, plus some steel washers, and then wrap with padding (thick self-welding) tape followed by regular electrical tape. Available at electrical supply houses everywhere. They will also have the hardware.

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

You probably don't want this flapping arround under acceleration, so some sort of bus bars or barrier strip.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks for the responses. I think we're all in agreement so far but I was asking if it's accepted practice to bolt together 2-hole lugs of slightly different sizes. I guess this is not a normal situation because usually people do not mate up two different wire gauges!

Reply to
Mike Mocha

given that the smaller lug has sufficient area for its rated current I can't see there being a problem with mating it to the larger lug.

the width of theses things is basically half the circumerance of the tube stock that they are manufactured from, dur to the maufacturing process basically squashing the tube flat to make the lug end.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, this is a reasonable explanation. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Mocha