Use a complicated FPGA and you pretty much need one of these

MPM54304 DC/DC Stepdown Power Module MPS' quad-output, DC/DC stepdown power module features up to 2 A and 3 A per output

They're about $10-ish which is a bargain compared to the alternative. Looks like they need a lot of headroom. But that reduces input current and keeps duty cycles very workable I'm assuming.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Looks complex, the I2C stuff.

We've been using LTM8078 for powering FPGAs, which is a dual switcher in a BGA package. It tolerates up to 40 volts in, which is handy because we power a lot of boxes from 24.

I think Linear Tech started the power supply hybrids, their LTM series, but lots of people are doing it now.

That seems like a lot of current. What else is going on with the board? The FPGAs I typically work with are well less than a half amp and one voltage.

I guess your design *is* pretty "complicated".

Reply to
Rick C

Dunno how they settle on their input voltage range but when the load is 5V or less, 16V seems like plenty.

They have other interesting products. Like these jellybean non-isolated offline regulators:

The fact they have every kind of built in self-protection and have mitigated EMI is a big advantage too.

Pretty soon engineers aren't going to have much to do.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

We just move up the abstraction stack. Low voltage DC power supplies aren't very exciting anyhow.

don't you think some said the same when ICs first came out?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen