usb keyboard to ps2 converter circuit

Need to adapt a usb keyboard so I can plug it into a PS2 KVM

Connector changing adapter will not work. Needs some active circuitry.

Have not found anything handy other than expensive commercial devices.

Anyone know of a schematic handy??

Reply to
lemuriansun

Find a keyboard that does have it.

OR convert THAT keyboard internally to a legacy device.

I am not sure if an inline device exists.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is worth what is in it. Likely find it cheaper thru ebay or amazon too.

yep...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Those adapters will likely work if you merely find a way to add a power source to the keyboard.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks for the input.

I found similar with recent Belkin KVMs and thought I had my solution.

Their inputs were also USB or PS/2. Issue was that I need one PS/2 and one USB input. They require either a pair of USB or a pair of PS/2, no split, hence my adapter search. Using obsolete PS/2 Trackball for mouse input.

You did get me thinking and I will try an adapter for the trackball and see if it is USB conversion compatible. Then a 4 port belkin newer model would go for me.

Reply to
lemuriansun

If you have one computer running all the time, you can put the mouse and keyboard on that and use a program called synergy to create a huge virtual desktop and your keyboard/mouse will go anywhere on the network you want. You still have to switch the display, but that can use the existing KVM or if you have multiple-input monitors.

A side benefit is that you can run legacy mice on whatever OS has drivers. I've used this to advantage when a linux box wouldn't recognize all the features of my touchpad, but synergy made it work just fine on all OS's.

There are also programs to move the virtual displays around, but that won't work if you need wide display bandwidth.

VNC can work if you need just occasional access. Gets cumbersome if you want to use it as a primary interface with a lot of graphics.

Reply to
mike