USB 'diskettes'

Wait until the TSA sees that, on your next trip. They'll enjoy it.

Reply to
krw

Here you go:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For that purpose, they should implement RFC 2549 nationwide. Easily a higher datarate than most cablemodems.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to handle the kind of storage available on a cheap USB device. The kind previously described in this thread could be downloaded in less than a couple of minutes using a cell phone connection or in less than 20 seconds using a typical home connection.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Massive datagrams are the future. VOD is the future. Get used to it.

Yes, it is wasteful, but so is knowing that there is a program (or could be)that local node servers could run to store VODs and replay them from a more local hop count on subsequent requests. Don't expect brains like that any time soon though.

I feel more angry that convicted inmates of most jails and prisons get to watch movies like Avatar a mere two days after it hits the shelves... for free.

We have to pay, but in order to placate stinking convict mindsets, and keep pussy guards feeling safer (and lazier), they get it free.

Talk about irony.

Reply to
WarmUnderbelly

I've got one (only 512M, though, as it is older) that uses power drawn from the USB port to recharge a battery -- that powers a little LED flashlight. Helpful when I need to peek behind one of my machines to see what's plugged in where, etc.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

256MB is too small.

1GB is the size one needs to mass distribute Linux distributions (eg Ubuntu

10.04)
Reply to
richard

Tim Williams Inscribed thus:

One of our local market stall traders was selling 1Gb USB sticks for £0.99p ($1.40 ish) & 512Mb @ 3 for £1.50 ($2.00) last weekend.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

10.04)

Or simply use the net install. If you have enough brains to set up the ISO correctly before you burn it, which I am certain that you do not.

More likely, however, you are the lazy fucktard type that needs pushbuttons. Some due to laziness, but most due to utter stupidity.

That is aside from the fact that ALL Ubuntu releases fit on less than

1GB. They burn onto CDs, you stupid fucktard.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You are going to see a lot of the USB 2.0 stick flooding the market cheap. The USB 3.0 stuff will be out, and they do not want to lose sales on all that old inventory of USB 2.0 stock.

Reply to
WarmUnderbelly

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:hrknvp$dtr$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

memory cards are closest to what you propose. all you need is to have a card reader or USB converter. I suppose they could be made big enough you would not lose them inadvertently.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

What's the point of a USB3 stick? The transfer rates do not justify it, and it will be backward compatible anyway.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If this model:

...sells well, there might eventually be one with a bottle opener? ;-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, but just as software bloat has made it possible to buy multi-GHz CPUs and multi-gigabyte memory sticks for some low tens of dollars, those guys into movie downloads are going to pay for the infrastructure that lets you download datasheets at hundreds of megabits per second for tens of dollars per month...

It is a bit ironic that inefficiency can be a driving force behind technological advancement...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Form factor is right, but the cheapest at Newegg is $4.89 (1GB MicroSD). They're the size of postage stamps, it's time for the price to follow!

...Which has kind of a double meaning... either the memory comes down, or actual postage stamps continue to rise. :-(

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Flash is not going to come down for some time. The industry is in the part of the cycle where the fruits of underinvestment followed overinvestment. Give it about 18 months when the prices will crash due to current overinvestment.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Unfortunately in this case we'll all pay for that. The rates for DSL connections are the same for everyone, with minor added cost for more speed. And now that my ISP must pay a settlement for not delivering promised speed they announced a rate hike of that amount plus a li'l bonus for them. Because you must buy at the company store ...

You only get to enjoy an upside if you need a much lower tier service, like 8-10kbit/sec telephony where rates consequently dropped to pennies. I can call some overseas countries for a fraction of the cost of what a domestic call costs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Tim Williams" wrote in news:hrn15p$l29$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

last year,I tried to find a low cost 256MB SD card for my Polaroid digital camera,and couldn't. It turned out a $10 1GB card would work despite the warning in the camera op manual.

I guess the demand for such low-cap devices has evaporated. (I also bought a 128MB USB stick,a closeout,at Target for $6.)

I wonder if some Chinese company has lower prices on 1 GB cards? I'm sure they are low cost in volume...maybe you could do a volume buy; it's not like they would spoil over time.

aren't those microSD cards used as SIMcards for cellphones?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Had the opposite experience with my Tek scope. It wouldn't work at all with a small 2G CF card (in fact, I had to low-level format the card to recover from the attempt- kept showing 512M capacity afterward). The scope works okay with 32M-256M cards.

They will probably be just as unreliable years from now as the day you buy them. Seriously, does anyone really have time for non-name-brand guaranteed memory? You want to trust vacation photos or other irreplacable data to a cheap off-brand card? For handing out data at seminars with the mfr logo on them, maybe, provided the failure/DOA rate is less than a couple tenths of a percent.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Near Video on demand would be more practical.

Assuming a 90 minute program and a replay starting every minute, there would be 90 active streams at any time.

Assuming 2 Mbit/s for the MPEG-4 SD stream, this would require 180 Mbit/s.

For nearly a decade ago, a single transatlantic DWDM fibre could carry

80 wavelengths with at least 10 Gbit/s each, thus 800 Gbit/s total or 400,000 MPEG-4 SD streams or nearly 4500 NVOD streams starting every minute for 90 minute streams.
Reply to
Paul Keinanen