Update: Varistor/MOV Spice Modeling

GFYU ...Jim Thompson

After you get well, you're welcome to try.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a related note then, if anyone has something they'd like to model, I could take a crack at it.

I suspect Jim isn't doing anything I don't know, and if he sees some examples, maybe he'd even admit what it is, too ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Perhaps not the right place in the thread to say this, but what problems would come up if you modelled a varistor as a behavioural current source with I = k* V^alpha in series with a bulk resistance? I've had pretty good luck with that model (just not in SPICE).

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I'm seeing interst in the model, rather than in _using_ the model.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Bwahahahahahaha! I needed a laugh right now.

How about an NCP1072? That was requested on the LTspice List >:-} ...Jim Thompson

How about a resistor, diode, voltage source?

A couple in parallel if you want some curvature.

Bridge rectifier if you need bipolar.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There's not a lot of demand for an accurate MOV model, especially an encrypted one.

Someone with a "B" (Beckman? Bourns?) used to sell a "precision" MOV. Its i-v curve was a square or an exponential or something, and it could in theory be used to do analog computing, multipliers and such. Given that MOVs are not stable and have a lot of capacitance, it was a silly idea that soon disappeared.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
[snip]
[snip]

There was a request on the LTspice List and I provided a model.

Why do you have heartburn over "encrypted"?

The model is completely general. All the parameters (fill-in the blanks) are available straight off of most datasheets. ...Jim Thompson

You keep telling us how smart you are, and how dumb we are, and all we need to do is take your word for it.

Why are you keeping it a secret? Paranoia or insecurity?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Huh? Where did I say that?

Why do you insist on being a psychopathic asshole? ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Oooops! I already know the answer... because you ARE >:-} ...Jim Thompson

OK, insecurity. If people saw what you did, they might criticize. Or have a better idea.

Better keep it a secret.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The LT Spice "g" componant is a voltage dependant current source. The relationship could be your equation, or a polynomial, or anything. That would be *one* line of text. Add capacitance or ESL as needed.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Are you really so ignorant to believe that? I guess that's the way psychopathic assholes think. ...Jim Thompson

Yep. The MOV equation is one line of GVALUE... with coefficients set by VTEST, ITEST, VCLAMP, ICLAMP, Rseries, Lseries and Cpar, right from the data sheet.

But apparently too difficult for Larkin the psychopathic asshole to master plugging in the numbers. ...Jim Thompson

One line? What line? This one maybe?

1e0b22458c9e013c316e1a17d2fb21f94017955ce88f51ef5c03aab498e88eb5e71f71e1875841719b8947fe3d6f920cb7af1fedfab169c9c17d1a3c4a3fa116

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You will NEVER see the equation, as simple as it is, NEVER >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Oh no, no, I'm heartbroken.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Good >:-} ...Jim Thompson