Unusual functions of cheap parts

Jim Thompson skrev:

I've seen several speakers where there was a light bulb, in series with the tweeter, as a power limiter

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Expect more nasty weather... it's heading your way. Here on Saturday night... very windy, Sunday night plunged to about 25°F.

Got in the wife's car on Saturday and backed out into the street, and commented, "Why is the AC blowing warm air?"

Wife replies, " I don't know, it did that for awhile yesterday, too."

I pushed the Ambient button on the dash... it was 65°F outside... winter has arrived in Arizona ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We burned a log in the fireplace last night also. It was sufficient to keep the inside temperature above 68°F. Don't know yet if I'll need to turn on the heat this year or not.

...Jim Thompson

I put mine in series with Mom's iron, but the thermostat kept turning it off.

--
Cheers!
Rich

But who wants a cooked pickle? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My ethnic Russian daughter-in-law, just arrived from Tatarstan, made a Russian soup, into which she chopped several dill pickles.

Wonderful stuff!

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Recipe? ;-) It's getting into soup/curry/stew weather here in the frozen* north.

  • Actually just cold nasty rain, but there was some snow earlier this week.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ha. Well, there's a nice dry maple log in the fireplace, an ice-cold Sapporo in one of my Royal Selangor double-wall frozen pewter tankards, my VHDL code is working with minimal tweaking and all is right with the world. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I once owned a Knight transistorized amp that used incandescent bulbs in the output stage to limit current. When you had some brighteness, you had a problem.

I remember that it was the very worst-sounding amplifier that I ever owned.

jon

Reply to
Jon Yaeger

You must have to cook the bejabbers out of them - I chopped up a dill pickle once into a stew I was concocting from leftovers ane expired stuff in the pantry, and it was kind unnerving every time I bit into a pickle chunk. Or maybe I didn't chop them finely enough. (more like I "cubed" them.) My Mom [RIP] used to put weiners and sweet pickles through the meat grinder. Simultaneously. I refused to even taste the stuff. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Recipe? For _STEW_??!!?????

You brown some meat, throw it into a pot with some veggies, add enough water so it doesn't boil dry, cover it, and simmer it until it starts to smell like food. ;-)

(Then again, I used to watch Mom cook. ;-) )

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Heh heh. I have a Knight kit-built amp that glows too, but that's a bias problem in the tube output...

...No, I don't use it regularly...

Tim

Tim Williams

I think I remember something like that, maybe with ground beef.

Here's a recipe for 'Solianka' soup with dill pickle, pickle juice and a bunch of hearty stuff. They might make it differently in Tartarstan though (home of Tartar sauce, I presume):

From other recipes for Solyanka (or however it's spelt/spelled) the common factors are beef broth, pickles, olives, capers, onions, garlic and some kind of meat-- other winter veggies are fair game. And a dollop of sour cream.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, Galya's was all vegetable except for a cube or two of bouillon (I don't know what kind). She had chopped the vegetables so finely that I didn't notice the pickles until she showed me the jar she took them from (I couldn't understand her description of "spiced cucumbers" :-).

I don't know how she made it, since I had put her son, my step-grandson, to work with me raking a ton or so of oak leaves from my six 100+-foot trees.

Even a lovely season like autumn has its price.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Am Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:14:17 GMT schrieb Rich the Newsgroup Wacko :

One time I used an old Iron as a dummy-load for a 230V/1kW TRIAC power control circuit (we had it in the lab for improvised BGA soldering). To "satisfy" the thermostat I used a 30cm room fan.

--
Martin
Reply to

========================== Winter ? That's a comfortable Summer temp. here in northern Scotland.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Reply to
Highland Ham

I know how to make stew, without a recipe, but it wouldn't taste like Russian stuff with capers, olives and pickles. I guess you have to make it only from stuff that would be available in the Russian countryside in February, and spice it up with the appropriate crunchy/salty bits.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Noo.... I think I would have remembered something which looked like

*that*.

Sounds basically like corned beef hash with sides of fried egg, pickle and perhaps rollmop herring. Though more gooey with mashed potatoes used rather than chopped.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe 2N4261 ? Have not looked into the datasheet, but as i remember, i have seen them sometimes in complementary with the 2N2369

Jorgen

Reply to
Jorgen Lund-Nielsen

Spehro Pefhany schrieb:

You mean Labskaus?

Here in Bremen/Germany we usually leave away the fish and use just Corned Beef (the brazilian Corned Beef is just fine). And sometimes, you find diced pickles in it. Tastes even better, then.

regards Henning

--
henning paul home:  http://www.geocities.com/hennichodernich
PM: henningpaul@gmx.de , ICQ: 111044613