Ultrasonic Deer/Badger device

It's here ( sorry it's the UK amazon)

Anyone have any test data to show they actually emit ultrasonics ? I just can't see how they can possibly work ... unless there's some sort of tuned length bit of plastic or something that will vibrate at high frequency...

TTman

I don't know if they do work, but there's no reason why a whistle won't whistle if air gets blown down it, Shirley?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

---------------------

** Like any whistle, its a small volume of air resonating in a shaped chamber. Try blowing across the top of an empty milk bottle some time. The sound is at a hundred Hz or so. Add water and the pitch rises.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Livewire talks about deer whistles and says insurance companies do NOT support them:

The author points out if the deer whistles actually worked the insurance companies would hand them out like candies when you renewed.

Just another sales hype I'm afraid... (I am NOT going to mention that guy)

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

You can tell that they are working when you can't hear them.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

I think the deer you're likely to encounter in suburban areas are pretty accustomed to humans.

There are a good number of deer in my area just 25 miles outside Boston, they particularly come around in the summer late at night to chow down on some wild apples that grow in a small grove near my home.

Interrupt their mealtime and even a female will stare ya down and let you get extremely close before she finally lets out a snort of frustration, turns tail and saunters back into the woods.

I don't think an ultrasonic whistle is gonna reliably scare 'em into getting out of your way at a distance.

Reply to
bitrex

Only thing predictable about wild deer is they're unpredictable, next time I see some wandering out back my home I'll blast 28kHz at them from a piezo speaker. My scientific hypothesis is they will do f*ck all.

Reply to
bitrex

I doubt if they will work more because the deer that you tend to be in conflict with on the roads tend to be stupid inexperienced ones out looking for a territory. Or at least that is most common where I live.

It might just alert them to a car if enough vehicles had them and they are really loud. But there is enough vehicle noise from cars anyway that I think it is probably pointless.

I have had deer step out in front of me at speed three times. The most spectacular one I got so close that my bumper didn't quite touch it.

Dashcam footage shows the animal run out into my path and I reacted with a full ABS stop. The dashcam mounting swung skywards so the only part of the creature you can see are its ears along the bottom of the screen. When it happened I'd have said that it was about 6s from seeing it to a dead stop. It was nearer 2s and all over when I played it back.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

There're no moving parts. The only thing moving is the air. Looks like a monopole pipe tone:

Fred Bloggs

=8-8

I was driving home late once and had to stop for a many point buck standing smack in the middle of the road. He turned his head and looked right at m e from about 20 feet away and chewed his cud or whatever gum he liked. May be he didn't hear my truck engine. I blew my horn a couple of times with n o reaction. After a minute or two he casually sauntered away. I'm sure he would have run away had I just blown a whistle at him... an ultrasonic whi stle. Or maybe an infrasonic whistle. Or maybe a wolf whistle. Deer hate those!

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rickster C

Maybe if you put fangs on the front grill with simulated blood they might think your truck is a predator to be avoided, combined with the wolf whistle or play a pack howl while driving at night...

Do deer chase lasers like cats do?

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

r=8-8

ort

om

ding smack in the middle of the road. He turned his head and looked right a t me from about 20 feet away and chewed his cud or whatever gum he liked. M aybe he didn't hear my truck engine. I blew my horn a couple of times with no reaction. After a minute or two he casually sauntered away. I'm sure he would have run away had I just blown a whistle at him... an ultrasonic whis tle. Or maybe an infrasonic whistle. Or maybe a wolf whistle. Deer hate tho se!

There are deer all around here. They don't seem to 'understand' cars, but I do find they respond to the horn. (When I see deer jumping across the road; I slow down, beep the horn, and look for more deer.)

Maybe we'd all drive better if there were more animals you had to fear when driving. (More Moose, Rhino's and Mastodons :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The whistles are an old fad, tried here for deer and elk (moose for US). They did not work.

--

-TV
Reply to

Yeah, motorcyclists got into them for a while, but they seemed to have died off - not the motorcyclists - the whistles! As was pointed out in an article link I posted, if the whistles worked the insurance companies would have handed them out like candies!

Perhaps there are deer researchers who need to look into how to scare the animals harmlessly - much like owl images/figurines on windows and doorways scare off birds. Some subconscious stimulus that they can't ignore.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I once heard somebody described as "strong as an ox, and twice as smart."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs