handheld scope

Has anyone used one like this? Amazon has a bunch of these, and they all look the same.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

ptechnology.com:

e&qid=1612628689&sr=8-16

very low bandwidth, I think they all similar, a display and an STM32 using the internal ADC

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I bought one similar to that a few years ago. It was real crap, barely better than nothing. And they had ripped off another Chinese maker so the (extraordinarily, impressively buggy) firmware could not be updated. The display is usable elsewhere so it wasn't much of a loss.

A USB scope would probably be a better bet if there's a suitable host going to be around.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Here is a cheap one that comes as a kit, you can see what parts they use. The MCU is a low end 32-bit ST part (probably a clone actually).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The concept is flawed, because you have your hand on the probe, watching the circuit to know where the probe is placed, and the screen... is elsewhere, is small, has few gain/speed options, and will be dragged by its wires unless you're very careful.

Another useful item would be a powered probe/preamp, wireless attached to a PC that can usefully display its output. Alas, you don't want a transmitter next to your circuit during the test, so one would prefer an optical fiber from the probe to the host (and the features list thus creeps longer, ever longer).

Reply to
whit3rd

Amazon has many, and they all seem to be copies of one another. Black case and white case seem to be the only differences.

I was wondering what a $40 scope might be like. I just ordered one to see.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out our $50K LeCroy scope. Their tech support isn't much help.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

It will be in the trash bin soon.

Reply to
John S

You make it sound like there are many outfits making these units. They are likely all made on the same line with many sellers. That's how it is with most items you buy. Sometimes a vendor will have some cosmetic changes but the same electronics.

--
Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

You might try a Wav2 from JYE Tech.

Roughly the same thing, with internal usb-rechargeable LiIon battery and a signal generator output.

Full serial I/O.

For the price of a meter, you get ~vision and battery isolation.

I think most digital scopes (their noise, triggering and display capabilities) are crap, but mostly because they won't do my thinking for me. In the past all settings were visible, just by reading the front panel.

RL

Reply to
legg

And the right to assemble it for some number of hours.

I haven't touched an analog scope in a decade or two. They were barbaric by modern standards. The "storage" versions were awful.

I have several TEK 547s and a heap of plugins. They were beautiful instruments in their day, but I wouldn't want to use one any more. All the traces are all green!

I have a one-time need to make a simple measurement in a hard-to-access place, so I thought one of these $40 scopes might be interesting. Looks like a 9 volt battery would run one for a while.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

In this case, there **are** many similar copies of one basic design.

As I said the outfit I got mine from had copied the original Chinese maker (including their name on the PCB- JYE?) but updated firmware would not work on it because of some security measure I can't remember the nature of that the original mfr had employed. Someone has probably cracked it by now but it's hardly worth it.

This is common in China. I've seen things like relays where they are clearly using one set of specifications and design (JCQxxx) but each of many, many factories is producing their own version- you can tell the tooling is different from witness marks in stampings, ejector pin positions in injection moldings and other slight variations.

Of course it's not totally a myth, some companies like Sieg (small machine tools) will paint their product whatever color you want and readily make minor changes for a big buyer such as Grizzly.

I just hate to see it used as an excuse to buy the cheapest with the assumption that they are all the same. They may or may not be.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

What is the deal with all the ching chang fake brands for stuff on amazon?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Buy it assembled, battery installed, though you can buy batteries that size off-shore. JYE firmware claims NA sources.

I should have mentioned, the Wav2 is two channel. I saw only one BNC on the divice you were sniffing about.

RL

Reply to
legg

Your money would have been better spent on a decent bottle of wine.

Reply to
Flyguy

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Feb 2021 13:20:03 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

Sigh, I love my 10 MHz analog.

So are traffic light sometimes ...

OK. here my take somethinhg 'simple' (low sampling rate) as a panel meter for some projects design your own cost < 7 $

But you as company. grab a cheap FPGA, get a fast ADC, get some cheap (green or multicolor ;-)) LCD and do a 1G samples one That should work out below 50$ parts?

2 chips! Some SMDs

And do not forget to add an ASCII output modefor Usenet:

The Chinese forgot to copy that part??

*** *** *** *** **** *** *** ** *** * * *** ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * ** ** ** ** * * *** ** ** * **** * * * * * ***** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ***** *** ***** ***** ** * **** *** ***** *** *** * * * * *** *** * * * * *** ** * * *** * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • * * * * *
**** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *** * ** * * ** * ***** *** *** *** **** * * * * * * * * * * * ** * ** * ** * * * **** * * * * * * * * * * * *** * ** * ** * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * **** *** *** *** ** * ****
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The Chinese companies sell things for less than I can buy the parts, and then they ship for free.

They overclock the ADCs, too.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

There are 100MHz scopes at Ebay? at similar price. I bought this FNIRSI-5012H. 100MHz is hopefull dream and the seller doesn't know what they are selling. Trigger point is always on start of of the trace and so on. But they talk about it on

Besides, you need two channels, but the price is good.

Reply to
LM

I must own 40 oscilloscopes, up to 7 GHz realtime and 40 GHz sampling. Lately we buy mostly Rigols. I just have a one-time need for a very portable, basic oscilloscope. $40 is practically use-once territory.

The big old Tek samplers, and the 7 GHz LeCroy, need two people to lift them up onto a bench.

--
John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

lol. I tried to get multiple people at a lecroy table at a trade show to show me to see the test waveform from the front test jack.

Nobody could figure it out how to. So yeah, their stuff is garbage sofware in the shape of an oscilloscope.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Or just don't buy dodgy chinese shit with 5 and 6 character random names off amazon in the first place. You're not going to accidentally get a $500 piece of test equipment (or anything) for $40.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader