UK Phone line question

In many of our neighborhoods, the wiring is on old, mostly rotten, wooden poles. I'm collecting a photo album of the Greatest Hits.

Our natural gas piping was upgraded a few years ago. They fished little plastic high-pressure tubes inside the old rusting iron pipes.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

A few years ago, a gas pipe exploded in San Bruno and killed a bunch of people.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That looks like a very similar peer to peer line of sight technology although in the UK there is radome weather protection on the dish. I think the next tier on the system is 200M (same hardware) and then 2G. However on the one here you only need to buy a single dish and point it at one of the nearest omnidirectional broadcast nodes. I think you get a slight discount and higher speed if you host a rebroadcast node.

In the cities maybe, but I expect hell to freeze over before we get 5G out here in the sticks. There are still a few 2.5G masts round here. My nearest mobile not spot is within a 2 minute walk. Not far away from us is an entire village in a valley with no mobile signal at all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Would you bet your life on something made to find out which cable had the signal, at a few inches rather than buried cable?

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael_A_Terrell

My borther worked as a civil engineer on the sewer system in Amsterdam. They had a city archeologist to study all what is buried in the ground, no kidding.

Groetjes Albert

--
This is the first day of the end of your life.
It may not kill you, but it does make your weaker.

I use a large 21 inch degaussing coil, about 2.6mH SRF ~80kHz taped to a stiff cardboard sheet held parallel to ground. Hums,buzzes etc change as one transverses a cable; change is sharp enough if traveling perpendicular to cable and nominally gives one inch resolution (one foot estimated depth of cable).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Found the second loop i used: again a degaussing coil 13.7 inch diameter, about 7.1 mH SRF 53kHz mounted same way. Similar sensitivity.

Reply to
Robert Baer