U.S. Propane Exports Racing Towards 500,000 Barrels ***DAILY***

terial

The only big ships I know of that don't burn HFO is the LNG carriers that use the same LNG they carry

All the slow diesels run on HFO max 3.5% Sulphur, 1% in SECA, when in harbor where they generally have to run on diesel

HFO is a left over from refining but it's got to be used for something

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I guess there are no emission rules in "the commons" so they can spew out whatever gives them the lowest cost propulsion.

If they start using LNG to replace it, the price of it will drop, natch.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

t=

yes only limit is the max 3.5% sulphur in hfo, that limit will be lowered over the years

there is work on exhaust scrubbers to wash out the sulphur

and the infrastructure to handle LNG at -162C is a lot more complicated than a simple oil tank

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Including the safety concerns such as risk to nearby ships and fixed port facilities.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's silly. The real issue is that many east coast buildings are old, likely rock or brick, and without earthquake codes and not retrofitted. They will crumble at about mag 6 or so. The easterners aren't used to quakes so don't prepare for them. New Madrid could be an epic disaster.

The people who died here, in the 89 quake, were killed by the Nimitz freeway collapse and by unreinforced brick buildings. Some wood structures collapsed - mostly from soil liquefaction - but the inhabitants mostly walked away.

We were on Judah Street, in a wooden art deco building that did fine, no damage. One CAMAC crate jumped off a shelf and hit the floor. Next door was a 6-story apartment building with a brick facade. All the bricks peeled off and hit the sidewalk. Miraculously, nobody was hurt.

Our current place is an old concrete and wood building, on sand at the north edge of the Mission liquefaction zone. We put in a lot of plywood and bolts and footings and steel before we moved in.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Mag 5s aren't exactly unknown to the East. 3s are common. NYC hasn't fallen into the ocean yet. A 7 would run their day, no doubt.

Reply to
krw

LA, sitting directly on serious faults, would/will hurt bad in the next big quake. Too many flimsy concrete buildings, and no political will to upgrade them.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Plus the quality of the ground is a factor, AKA liquefaction.

Because the fracking induced quakes are poorly understood, nobody really knows the upper limit of the quake magnitude. Or the fracking induced quake could cause a natural quake.

When you don't understand something, it is usually when you get screwed. You need to know the science behind the process in order to control it.

Reply to
miso