Twisted wire supressing output?

I am hoping that the experts on this board can answer this question.

I have a Robotic lawnmower that uses a radio signal radiated by wire loop to both keep the unit within a boundary as well as provide a guide for the robot to follow while trimming the perimeter. This is similar to a dog fence as far as the signal generation goes. Any required splices are by means of silicone filled wire nuts.

My questions: Will a twisted wire splice cause any degradation of the signal? If yes, could anyone recommend a better way of splicing the wire than wire nuts aside from solder?

Any thoughts on lightning protection?

Thanks

RR

Reply to
rrold1

Is it just me, or does an unmanned, self-propelled piece of (sharp) rotating machinery sound like a really bad idea?

Bob

Reply to
StephensDigital

probably not if it has a couple volts across it

screw terminal blocks,welding, if its clean and dry, almost anything

don't stand under a tree in a storm

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

just you, sounds great to me...

me

Use 3M Scotchlok gel filled splice connectors

As for lightning protection for your wiring loop, I don't think their is much chance of getting a lightning strike if it is only a couple of feet above ground. If it did get a strike it would be destroyed no matter what protection you fitted.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Any kind of splice will allow the system to work. The only thing you have to consider is if the splice is moisture proof.

My son has a dog fence around his property and had the fet drivers zapped a couple times by nearby lightning strikes before he added some transient suppressor diodes like Digikey part # 1.5KE12CADICT

one from each end of the loop to the local receptacle ground. This also protects the power supply from being arched across its insulation.

After a year with lots of lightning, it has survived, unscathed.

Reply to
John Popelish

John,

I would like to keep lightning spikes outside the walls. Do you think that I could run a line to the ground spike outside instead of a receptacle?

To "Me" who thought ithe mower was a great idea: probotics.com

RR

Reply to
rrold1

Just enclose the house in a Faraday cage. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise