Tweak PC clocks

A little further off topic the new Dell Latitude Z also has Linux on an ARM (besides Windows on an Intel Core 2 Duo).

"...the most impressive feature on the Latitude Z may be the ability to check e-mail, calendar and contact information and to browse the Web via an instant-on software package. The software fires up the moment you open the laptop and connects right to a wireless network without Windows. (Under the hood, it?s Linux running on top of an ARM chip on a mini- motherboard that provides this quick access feature..."

Reply to
joe

PS, There are chip[set]s that do it all. My first digital TV was the SkyStar 1 PCI card. It has the AV7110 chip. What that one does is ; take the 8 bit digital transport stream from a tuner, demux it into audio + video, do a triple DES decode in case it is encrypted, and then do a mpeg2 hardware decode, then generate a composite PAL signal, just what you want :-) The data for that chip is impossible to get without a NDA IIRC, they were at that time totally paranoid about the 3DES system becoming public, but anyways when DTV came to the US so many publications appeared, and that system was figured out, hacked, the whole thing. That was an interesting time. That chip is, and that card is, fully supported by the Linux DVB drivers though. Actually contributed a little bit to that, so long ago say about 10 years? The composite output was so good I wrote a special picture viewer for it,to display slides on an analog TV. ppv (Panteltje's Picture Viewer) (so not pay per view ;-) ), all the way at the bottom of my satellite page.

So I still have this SkyStar 1 card, it has an ARM processor on it too, but replaced it by a more modern one that does not use so much power, that AV7110 and it's tuner got bleeding hot... and it was a problem to make reliable digital recording from it (they had their own non standard format called 'AV_PES'...). The sat card I have now (Wintv NOVA ) outputs a true digital transport stream and uses far less power. So, since the AV7110 (Texas Instruments IIRC) many more and better chips and chip sets have appeared. Maybe some still have analog out, and likely HDMI these days.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

fifo, simply

disappeared magically :-)

MS DOS, or DR DOS actually),

But now you can have both DOS and Linux!

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill