Turn signal flasher question

I have a turn signal flasher that I no longer hear. After both my kids commenting on my turn signal being on, I decided to do something about it. I tried just adding a mechanical piece to make it louder, it did but probably not enough. So I found a Sonolert and wired it to the output. However the output of the Flasher sets at 6V. I don't know why. I just put a zener in series and that solved the half ON problem. Why would there be 6V on the output? I suspect it may come from the other direction, but I'm still without understanding. It is a relay output, but has solid state osc. and drive. This a working system, I just can't hear it.

Reply to
amdx

I would say to look up the wiring diagram for your car, but they can be very hard to trace. PITA

I'm guessing they run one wire for two lights. Wire one light to 12 volts, the other to ground, then drive the single wire to 12 volts for a left turn or to ground for a right turn. Open circuit when off. ???

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I looked at these a few years back for my Mom but then she got to the point where she could not drive due to her eyesight. Never ordered it.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

I looked up loud flashers on Amazon, they have them, but not great reviews. (not loud enough was the complaint) I did not see the site you listed. What I did works fine, just curious about the 6v I read when off.

Reply to
amdx

Put a resistor from that node to ground or +12 and see how much the voltage changes to measure the source impedance.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ya, I wondered if that was because I had a 10 meg ? meter. I might get to that... I need to get under the dash and put a piece of tape over the sonolert output, it's pretty loud even at 6 volts.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What about a 100uf cap to a 3inch speaker? Should make loud enough clicks.

Reply to
Rocky

The flasher is powered by the current that it leaks while the contacts are open, 6V seems like a lot, but perhaps not if you have LED lamps.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to