Wiring 555 Timer as Signal Flasher Honda CT90?

Hi Folks:

I need a bit of help. I want to use a 555 or similar timer to activate my signal lights on my trail bike. Why do I want to change the original system? I have plans to go to all LED signals and brake lights so this circuit board is the first step and the original thermal flasher is not that reliable and does not work well with low current draw of the LED's.

REQUIREMENTS: I need the circuit board to be a plug in unit so I do not have to modify the bike wiring to be able to use this board. Note: This turn signal circuit is always powered by the ignition Switch and

6VDC 5.5AH battery and I don't want to modify this feature if at all possible..

ORIGINAL SETUP:The original turn signal circuit used a thermal flasher and did not present a problem as it was in series with the relatively high current indicator bulbs and was not activated until the manual signal switch was in L or R position and it gave the flasher time to heat up and start flashing.

PROBLEM: The replacement circuit ( see this link -

- to the diagram in my blog) works well with the single exception the relay and the 555 are always cycling at a 1 hertz rate even when the signal lights are in the OFF position. This is unecessary use of limited battery power and will wear the components out quickly. Anyone have any ideas how I could modify the circuit to intially cycle the relay for maximum 1 minute when manual L or R is selected,then have the relay and timer turn off until the L or R switch is selected again? Disregard the horizontal line passing through the timer this is a scan error.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I was thinking a 556 dual timer as well as using the Normally Closed position on the relay contacts might be useful in this situation but I am at a loss on how to connect it. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers...Gerry

Reply to
Gerryo

-

-

I would approach this problem with a "sensing" circuit. Generally, you can keep your flashing circuit just like it is. Just sense the turn signal switch being switched to L or R with a PNP transistor circuit tied to the circuit board output. When the switch is turned to either L or R, it ties the circuit board output to ground via the turn signal lamps. That could turn on a PNP transistor. The transistor circuit can then turn the 555 timer on and off.

Sorry. I don't have the time to design the whole circuit, but hopefully this will give you a direction.

BRW

Reply to
bennet

You don't need the relay. remove the relay, connect the Collector of the TIP120 to your +6 volts. lift the Emmitter from ground and use that the feed the circuit for your LED's You may want to consider a Power P-Channel Fet in place with that transistor. if you get a Logic type, the turn on resistance is very low and thus will not heat up so much..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

-

-

Well if the relay isn't switching current it should last awhile or a few million cycles anyway.

I had a need for a flasher that would work the lights on my bike after I put leds in the front turn signals. I designed one around a mosfet with a 10 UF cap to hold the mosfet on while the mosfet was shorted - no connection to the ingnition source and only two wires in series with the turn signals.

Only about 7 parts and works like a champ - will post the schematic on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic if you want.. No moving parts - works from 11 volts to 15 volts and from 100 ma load to 10+ amps load with no change in flash rate. Two transistors one zener diode and a few resistors and one cap.

Newsgroups
default

all

Note:

flasher

Anyone

It will be far simpler and cheaper in the long run to simply replace the current flasher module with one designed for LEDs. Once you start designing your own, pleasurable as it may be, you are going to run into the major problem of 'packaging'. This aspect on a trail bike will take some ingenious diy tricks if the electronics are to be kept safe and secure from shock and the outdoor environment. The socket for the flasher is already there so all the problems are solved simply by replacement.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

-

30 August 2007 8:17 PM

Thank-you very much for your replies. It has given me a few avenues to explore.

Cheers...Gerry

Reply to
Gerryo