Transistor backwards... But it works ?_?

"Time sweep manner"? The horizontal axis on a Bode plot is frequency. A Bode plot is the gain (and I believe phase is required to be a "Bode plot") of a system vs. frequency.

That ain't a Bode plot.

Reply to
krw

Oh really? news to me. I've used Bode charts for what ever scale graphing I was doing as to the vertical and horizontal parameters in a time sweep manner. Using a AB generator you do need to supply a time frame that varies the output in such cases, I don't understand what you're talking about otherwise.

First off, I did something like that this morning and saw that at 1.0 S time I was able to see the hft drop off as saturation approached, which leads me to my suspicions of what I thought earlier, then I selected a 100 us sweep and notice there is a difference between using it in forward verses reverse operation. I didn't bother to do the charge calculations since this was just a pet experiment. All don't with a AB gen, scope and PC.

I also did a common base configuration and found the same response to be just about equal to the reverse operation, even though beta was less than 1 in that state of course.

One item of note I did see how ever, the test voltage must stay below the break down of EB, otherwise, the DUT becomes useless afterwards if the zener currents are sustained. I left one on for a while and then did a beta test. It dropped considerably. This was to verify what JL commented on, something I should of remembered de years ago.

So conclusion is, yes it does work and yes I found the beta to roll off as saturation approached but, I also found that you must be careful with zenering the emitter, especially when it reaches the negative voltage region, you get a nice pulse oscillator then..

I suppose if the unloaded state had no more than lets say 5 Volts on it you'd most likely be safe, since most transistors I've seen do not zener in that region, but near by.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Correct. I guess "Bode chart" is his name for a piece of log/log graph paper.

D'you have any idea what an "AB generator" is?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Allen Bradley? Certainly not "Jamie" in college.

Reply to
krw

The classic cross-coupled astable multivibrator drives each base negative wrt each emitter while each coupling capacitor discharges. Not a problem unless the junctions zener, just something to watch out for.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The Rockwell Retro-Encabulator, maybe ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Criminal loss of headroom, but.

RL

Reply to
legg

Clue less... really, you are..

Your comrade sheep buddies are calling you, you better run and get right to their party.. They said something of you being the main attraction.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Oh really, when I perform a sweep at difference frequencies looking for response curves to ratios of other information, I think I have covered it.

Go rally with the other herders that you hold so dearly as the authorities. It seems that I manage to actually get things done with out much effort? There is a reason for that, one you most likely wouldn't understand.

They're two kinds of people, those that need no explanation and know which end up and then there are those like yourself, Lost and willing to follow a blind path.

All I hear is sheep.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

According to Google, they are standby power generators. Maybe Maynard means 'Arbitrary Waveform' generator?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is the bleating of the other 'Lid' hams.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're the one who apparently thinks graph paper is called "Bode paper".

Maynard, you really are as stupid as Michael says.

Reply to
krw

I think, no, I know, you're clueless. You said, "I've used Bode charts for what ever scale graphing I was doing as to the vertical and horizontal ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ parameters in a time sweep manner." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With that definition of "Bode chart", *any* graph qualifies. Clearly clueless, Maynard.

It would have been much easier if you'd just said, "oops, sorry, what I said was wrong". ...or even STFU because you *clearly* are wrong.

Maynard, you're really stepping into the deep end.

Sometimes all we hear are our women. Even the sheep wouldn't stay around you if they had a choice.

Reply to
krw

Should be something like 20mV, at least that's what it was in that National IC from the 70s where it's used- the LM-whatmacallit...20?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

from the 70s where it's used- the LM-whatmacallit...20?

LM385

20mV is the tolerance. 2.5V is the refernce voltage.

There's also a 1.2V version:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

IC from the 70s where it's used- the LM-whatmacallit...20?

That's a bandgap. This is more like the LM10 reference, which is iirc about 200 mV, but this one will be lower than that. It's sort of a peaking current source driving a diode drop, and subtracting that from a V_BE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

National IC from the 70s where it's used- the LM-whatmacallit...20?

Ummm- check out Fig. 20 of the old LM211 datasheet- Low Voltage Adjustable Reference Supply, with the 2N3708 and 2N2222

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred