Transistor backwards... But it works ?_?

The universe disappears and is replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It is if they're inserted backwards.

Reply to
krw

That's the way you can usually tell C from E with a handheld multimeter (on the diode range). If it has an HFE function, that's a confirmation (but not so convenient to use on SMT transistors).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I knew there was a good reason not to try it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

If it has a diode range.

I was spoiled, I had access to curve tracers before meters with diode ranges became common.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

About 50 years ago, I made a telephone by using a scraped OC71 as photodetector, and an incadescent bulb with DC feed and modulation added in series to the feed. As antennas served two automobile headlight mirrors.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

I did about the same for a middle-school science project. The transmitter was a radio (Hallicrafters S38) speaker output in series with a flashlight battery, driving a flashlight bulb. The receiver was a selenium solar cell and a transistor amplifier. It really didn't sound bad, which is impressive for thermally modulating a filament.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

An over-driven emitter follower, namely driving the base above the collector voltage, can be made to saturate to exactly zero volts Vec. I built a mess of 16-bit DACs from discrete transistors and a wirewound resistor ladder network once, using that trick.

Zenering the b-e junction gradually destroys beta. I don't think reverse operation is a problem otherwise.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I kind of thought that destroyed the beta in the device when using it in forward mode afterwards? This was something that took place over time of use in the reverse mode.

I guess it wouldn't matter if you never intend to extract the unit for another job.

I remember a circuit years ago that had a R on the emitter side and if the R got opened and the circuit had been operating for while in reverse state, the transistor had to be replaced because the beta was no longer where it should of been.

Jamie...

Reply to
Jamie

"Exactly" ?:-)

Yes.

Really small feature-size PECL carefully limits the reverse Vbe. ...Jim Thompson

Thermal forcing gives you a one-pole rolloff, so it isn't too hard to equalize it over a moderate frequency band.

At high enough frequency, thermal diffusion starts to dominate, and then things get harder exponentially.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I made a 4 GHz signal generator out of a 'RL Drake' voltage tuned 70 MHz downconverter, and added a video input to modulate it. It was handy to test & repair old C band equipment. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That circuit is working with an IC/IB ratio of ~ 0.5, about a factor of 20x less than usual, it only needs the transistor for inversion apparently.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That explains how this is somehow a low voltage reference:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . . . . Isrc . | . | . | . .------+ . | | . | --- . | \ / . | --- . | | . | +----> Vref . | | . | |/ . '----| . |>

. | . | . ---- . . . . . .

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

inexplicable.

Shit... I guess somebody's already done it then. Possibly twice.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

And the _value_ is ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

If you use a BJT upside down, it turns into a mangier version with rather low gain but an exceptionally low saturation voltage.

We used this stunt long ago in aerospace to minimize switching saturation offsets.

Cost effective MOSFETS eventually eliminated the need.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Except at low currents, where you die from capacitance with MOSFETs. RF transistors run upside down generally have lower output capacitance than when run right side up, and f_T is often a bit higher too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So you're saying the heavier doped (emitter) will result in a lower saturation state when used as the high side element in a common low type circuit?

I'll have to put something on a test board and generate a bode chart on this. Something tells me the beta is lower because the emitter forward bias (lower forward). This means the base bias would actually be partially flowing through the emitter when saturation starts to drop below the diode drop? This would actually cause an opposite effect in Hfe, like seen in most cases where it goes up with higher currents.

That will give me something to do later unless we are talking about something else totally different here? I've never intentionally used a transistor that way, but have replaced a few that ended up working that wall in a circuit in a failed state.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

A Bode plot is gain versus frequency, usually on logarithmic axes. I think you meant a current transfer ratio plot.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse