Tonghui TH2821A LCR Meter

I think it is a Bot, probably Japanese origin from the English and grammar it uses.

Martin Riddle

It's even worse than that. He's a Canadian troll.

Michael A. Terrell

D you are a brain dead twit.

?-((

Reply to
josephkk

I use the term 'Bot' cause I'm don't know a word for when someone makes a fake usenet discussion for the purpose of advertising. It's a form of spam. Fake discussion spam? It's a method of dodging user name filtering or I think it's called ploinking. Regular spam gets quickly added to filters. I suspect Mike is John S's puppet. I could be wrong.

Reply to
D from BC

Not the response I'm expecting. I'm waiting to be surprised that Mike is real and not an invention of John S.

Reply to
D from BC

You are. And, josephkk is right; you are a brain dead twit. And what the hell business is it of yours?

Reply to
John S

I'm just waiting for fake Mike (not user mike) to post an opinion too.

Reply to
D from BC

die

cockless

Well here it is. Mike is not a sock puppet of John S. It is obvious to me as John S in not the kind to ever have or use a sock puppet. Sorry = you could not figure that out.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

He is quite stupid. He has not even looked at the message headers. If that doesn't give him a clue, nothing will.

Reply to
John S

He's not even smart enough to know there are a lot of Mikes on this group. It's no wonder so many have kill filed him after one of his numerous hissy fits.

Michael A. Terrell

Hey, Mike -

How long did it take to get your meter?

John S

Reply to
John S

I ordered it on Thu, 8 Sep 2011, it was shipped within a day or so, and it arrived on Mon, 3 Oct 2011.

That is about normal for shipments from China to Ontario, Canada. You will probably see faster delivery in the US. I forget which delivery service they used. Maybe it was DHL.

I really like the dissipation factor on electrolytics. You don't have to measure the ESR, then go to a lookup table to figure out if that is the proper value for the capacitance.

I just look at the dissipation factor, and if it's greater than about 0.2 for an older cap, toss it. This is a big time saver.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Great info on delivery AND dissipation. Many thanks.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

I really think the numbers it gives are quite believable. I just measured some film capacitors, and the larger ones gave dissipation factors around

0.001 to 0.0005, which corresponds to a Q of 1,000 t0 2,000.

A very small 1.5 nF gave D=0.0002, for a Q of 5,000. That seems a bit high, but still in the realm of possibility when you consider that is the least significant digit.

I'm very happy with it so far. Works great, and it autoscales and gives the reading very fast. This instrument will not slow you down, unless you forget to discharge a large cap before connecting it to the meter.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It depends on the dielectric material. NP0 (C0G) has the lowest D of the ceramics based on my limited experience. If the one you measured is not NP0 (C0G) then, yes, the Q reading may be high.

As I said, the specs look great. I'm anxious to get my hands on it. The instruments I have now put out too much voltage to measure components in-circuit, so I'm hoping this will help.

Thanks for the additional info.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John S

It doesn't seem to mind having a diode across an electrolytic, but I haven't tried that with lower values like 1 nF.

Let me know what you think of it when you get yours. It would be interesting to compare notes. But it sure beats the pants off the Capacitor Wizard, at$229.95:

or $189.95:

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I will.

Errr... The Wizard only tests ESR, yes? I don't think a comparison is possible under the circumstances.

If the TH2821A performs to the specs, then the money is minor and the Wizard looses miserably.

John S

Reply to
John S

Slow boat. ;-) I had a laptop (Lenovo) shipped from China on a Monday (China time) and it was delivered on that Wednesday, noonish, to my home in Alabama. It came UPS.

Reply to
krw

Monday

Just yesterday I received a DSP shortwave radio I ordered from (I think) = the=20 same supplier.

p3984.m1439.l2649 I ordered it 10/25, so that was less than 2 weeks. It came via USPS.=20 Supposedly air mail.

It's a pretty nice radio, but all the labels and instructions are in=20 Chinese. I asked for a translation, but I figured out how most of the=20 functions work. Not bad for $24 total including shipping.

I'm still waiting on some other items. And I found that they play games = with=20 pricing and shipping. For instance, I've seen something for about $20, = with=20 free shipping. And then I found the same item for $0.99, with $19 = shipping.

I use

for my PC boards, and they usually arrive about a = week=20 after ordering.

Thanks (to Mike, I guess) for the alert to these bargains. I might order =

some other things. Their USB 200x microscopes sound interesting.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

I am in Canada, the land of polar bears and dog sleds. It snows here.

I just ordered the top853 USB universal programmer mentioned by Nico Coesel,

I just received the following email from them:

We shipped YOUR item from our office today.

1)If you are in United States, we ship your order via USPS First Class mail Internationl. The estimated the delivery time is about 7~10 days. 2)If you are outside of United States, we ship your order via standard air mail.

The delivery shipping time is about 20~35 days according to your countries.

I lived in the States for 30 years before returning to Canada. I sure miss the fast postal service you have down there. A letter across town usually went overnight. Here, it takes 5 business days. That means you have to add two more days for the weekend:)

Mike

Reply to
Mike