Need LCR Meter Help

Hello All, I just bought an Amrel (American Reliance) LCR Meter Model 470D off E-bay and it has problems. The higher up ranger get successively more inaccurate than the lower ranges. I poped it open hoping it might be a simple calibration thing and it has a LOT of trim pots (non labeled though). I don't suppose anyone has a service manual, schematic, or calibration procedure for this thing. As it stands it's pretty much useless.

Any and ALL help will be greatly appreiated.

Thanks....all the best...Dean.

Reply to
Dean B.

off

ranges.

As

First, are you sure it's the meter? Second, is the battery OK? No point worrying about easy stuff!

NSM

Hello "N", with 36 years experience in electronics I can safely say YES it's the meter and NO it's not the battery.

I've used 1% resistors and 2% capacitors as "Test" subjects (Both confirmed with another meter). I bought this meter SPECIFICALLY for use in reading Inductance (in hopes in winding my own coils for use in Audio EQ circuits).

What I have discovered is that scoping the test terminals I get a clean 1Khz sine wave on some settings,a distorted (heavily clipped) 1Khz sine wave on others, and a noisy 125Hz sine wave on the remaining settings. Seems to me among other things that the reference oscillator is faulty or in some need of calibration. I would guess the 125Hz should in fact be a clean 100Hz as it's used in the higher ranges (2H, 20H,

20uF, 200uF,2nF)

As to the battery...I'm using an A-C adapter from a different device and I've confirmed the Power supply from within the LCR meter (in case an internal regulator was at fault).

Thanks anyway...any other thoughts...anyone...

Cheers....Dean.

thing.

Reply to
Dean B.

it's

OK. What does Amrel say about it? Service manuals available?

NSM

should be able to fix it myself?

me