Todays lesson

Here's your vocabulary lesson for today.

Liquidity:

When you look at your investments and wet your pants.

"

Reply to
Jamie

"Jamie" wrote in message news:w6qal.15274$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad...

Looks more like a ponzi scheme to me.

Martin Riddle

I heard a documentary on Radio Australia, "A Current Affairs Special" on what caused this mess, where they interviewed several bond traders and "financial engineers". One of the bond traders brought up an interesting cause. New accounting rules require that their holdings be accounted as "Mark to Market" (or something like that) where their investments have to be valued at the latest market price even if they have no intention of selling at that price. Long term investments end up showing up a short term losses. Especially if somebody else has had to liquidate their holdings of the same financial instrument in an emergency.

A really bad example of positive feedback. Transparency gone wrong.

Another observation. The guilty parties are laying down the thickest smoke screen of spin that I've ever seen. The "those damn poor folks who bought houses they can't afford caused this" and "the bailout will cause a depression" should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't trust anything that the right wing noise machine starts chanting in unison.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

This explains your pissy attitude.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've heard that reported elsewhere as well.

[snip]

Because it was really the leftist weenies who caused the problem ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.