Is this device physically-possible?

Hi:

Please don=92t get upset at me.

I apologize profusely for posting something so similar to yesterday in a different thread. However, you will notice some difference as you read. I was confused when I posted yesterday.

Does a device that switches frequency [in number of Hz] with peak-to- peak amplitude [in number of in photon(s)-per-second-per-square-meter] =96 and visa versa -- exist? If not, is it possible to construct one?

In this device, the input of a signal that has a frequency of X Hz and a peak-to-peak amplitude of Y photon[s]-per-second-per-square-meter will result in the output of a signal that has a frequency of Y Hz and a peak-to-peak amplitude of X photon[s]-per-second-per-square-meter.

Thanks

Reply to
GreenXenon

Except, any real device will have losses, so if you double the frequency, you would get fewer than half as many photons out of it.

Reply to
Nobody

But I'm talking about electric signals from 0 Hz to TeraHz range. Not optical wavelengths.

Photon is the quantum of electromagnetic radiation at any frequency, not necessarily optical frequencies.

Power lines in USA involve 60 Hz photons. 50 Hz photons in Europe. Any electric current that is not pure DC will generate photons of the same frequency it oscillates at.

It's also true that a higher-frequency electric signal will have more watts-per-square-meter than a lower-frequency electric signal with the same amount of photon(s)-per-second-per-square-meter. This is because higher-frequency photons are more energetic than lower-frequency photons.

To generate an electromagnetic signal of a higher-frequency requires more power [for the same amount of photon(s)-per-second-per-square- meter] than a lower-frequency EM signal.

Reply to
GreenXenon

]

y,

Light and RF are the same things. 0 Hz will be a big problem but assuming you don't mind not quite getting to zero, I may have an idea for you.

There are quantum physical effects that depend on the strength of the magnetic field. Some of the examples of such things differ by a factor of two between atom types. This means that in a mixed environment, one type of atom can absorb the RF at one frequency and the other can radiate at the other. The energy gets from one to the other when the bump into each other.

Reply to
MooseFET

What about electric current from 20 Hz to 20 KHz?

Why?

Ok.

One of the purposes of this hypothetical device I'm daydreaming about is the ability to get a higher-frequency signal from a bunch of lower- frequency signals.

For example, achieving a 2 Hz by using two 1 Hz signals together.

Reply to
GreenXenon

Look at "balanced mixer". Please scroll down on that page and study the examples.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Long wavelength light. You can make radio waves at these frequencies.

See Maxwell's equations.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

At these low of frequencies, the wavelength is very long and the photons have very low energy. This would mean that the device to do the function quantum physically or optically would have to be fairly large. It would perhaps have to be a few light seconds across.

The universe is only about 15 billion light years across so the lower limit on frequencies would be about 10^-10 Hz. Any lower than that and you would need to create a new universe to do it in.

Why don't you just apply the signals to some very nonlinear device?

Reply to
MooseFET

Nice.

Must be what Marki Microwave puts inside their mixers.

Archimedes' Lever

But the photons are not what are being used for the signal processing. It's the electrons [making up the electronic signal] that are used. Photons are just the result of the AC electric current that constitutes the signal.

Any AC current will generate photons of the same frequency.

The device I'm talking about is not photonic, it is purely-electronic.

Ok

Can such a device perform the aforementioned amplitude to frequency [and visa versa] conversions?

BTW, please forgive me. I should use the term electron[s]-per-second- per-square-meter, instead of photon[s]-per-second-per-square-meter. Since it's electrons that are the signals.

An electric signal with more amplitude will have more electron[s]-per- second-per-square-meter than an electric signal with less amplitude.

If it's electron[s]-per-second-per-square-meter instead of photon[s]- per-second-per-square-meter, will my device work better? I'm guessing so. I could be wrong though.

Reply to
GreenXenon