Thermal Connection

How big is the dish? Would a giant plastic punchbowl work?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Probably easier to switch to a service that only uses the 18" dishes. You know... change bands.

Reply to
Lewis Redmond

Why the long post? There are a number of currently available solutions to your problem that are easy to implement, (both vibrators that shake the snow off, and heating systems).

As well, some 'gutter' or roof heating tape would work just fine for your application, put the heat tape on the rear of the dish, add a layer of non-flammable insulation (fiberglass) so the heat is forced to the outside and you are set. Could probably do heat tape for about 20 dollars max.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

This coating is supposed to last ten years.

The Faq,

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Robert Baer wrote in news:CIWdnQHxA4TbxAzQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

that spray-on foam -absorbs- water. it's not "closed cell". It's probably not weather resistant,either.

funny story; many years ago,Indianapolis had a raft regatta on the White River,and I and 3 friends decided to make a raft and enter. I used the urethane spray foam packing system at work to fill in between the inner tubes for extra flotation. It slowly absorbed water and we sank lower and lower as we went down the river,and by the end,we were nearly sunk. the deck was below the surface. Then trying to drag the raft out of the water was nearly impossible form the weight of the water inthe foam. What a mess!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Charlie E. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

make a frame with Lexan plastic sheeting to go over the dish,with a sloped front to shed snow and ice. Put a light bulb under it for heating in the winter.

Or Xmas tree lights,jazz it up a little. :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The foam-in-a-can used for sealing cracks in buildings, like around door frames before your apply trim, is (AFAIK) water "proof". I also suggested putting it between the dish and a larger "bowl"... because it _does_ degrade, and turn to dust, from UV exposure. ...Jim Thompson

Lots of words; very little data.

A hundred bucks for a 50 watt heater?

NOw we're talking. And, not just only the pad heater, but an approach I hadn't even considered ... MAGNETS to stick the heater to the back of the dish!! Brilliant!! Now to climb up to see if the dish is made out of steel or aluminum.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Yes, and the commercial heaters and pipe tape heaters are all 110 vac devices. I was hoping to find something that I could run from a 24 vac wall wart as this will be an "out in the open" hookup. It doesn't bother me to wait an hour or so to let the thing warm up.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

spray some on a piece of cardboard and watch the steam come off it as it expands. it might be water-RESISTANT **when used as directed**,but not when drenched from rains.

If you get much water in your walls,I suspect that expanding foam will absorb it just like my packing foam did. expanding foam is for blocking AIR intrusion,not moisture.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's why I suggested the two "dish" approach (and be sure to seal the edges). Thinking back to when I replaced a door in the old house, I foamed-filled the gap, then sealed the edge with calk, then nailed on the wood trim.

Whatever I used before was so tough that I had to _saw_ off the excess ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You aren't going to get enough heat out of a restior and a small wall wart, unless you wait for spring. You should try that on a 5 meter commercial C-band dish.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

How about those heat lamps they use in cafeteria food lines? ...Jim Thompson

If you can shield them from the wind and any moisture, but I think they would be more trouble than they are worth. Pipe tape heaters are cheap and have been used for decades on small dishes.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I believe the 2-part Marine floatation foam is water proof. It also does not give off poisonous gases when burned. This Evercoat foam looks like it would work.

I had replaced a Deck in a boat, and used the 2-part foam for the required floatation. Stuff does expand fast, has a nice exothermic reaction ;D and gets quite hard.

Martin Riddle

Which witch?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

?? Thought witches did that...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

??? After 10 minutes it acted like it had loaded; popped up the player and then...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, it's an AVI file - if you're using Doze, your player probably can't handle it. It's just "Willow" (Alyson Hannigan) and some other babe kissing each other. But it's TV kisses, i.e., no visible tongue. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise