The weight of capacitance :-)

really?

I have a 5 pound spring in a relaxed state.

Now I compress it, how much more does it weigh?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Calculate how much mechanical energy is stored in the spring, and apply Einstein's equation. It won't be much more than the relaxed spring, because there are almost 1e17 joules per kilogram.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Wellllll......

A 1M solar mass black hole (galactic-center-sized) has an event horizon of

2.953e6 km radius, or a capacitance (assuming flat space; I don't have a clue how the notion of capacitance changes in GR :) ) of:

C = 8 pi e_0 G m / c^2

*+8+*+pi+*+electric+constant+*+gravitational+constant

0.329 F

Now if you wanted to know farad*ays*, you could suppose the black hole swallowed only electrons (assuming gravity overcomes electric repulsion -- it probably can't, this would be a serious case of galactic hair-standing-on-end!), so its mass is entirely due to electrons (and the energy of packing them in!).

Supposing the energy is due entirely to electric energy (probably a good bet, the electrons inside will be hyperrelativistic pretty quickly):

E = 1/2 C V^2 = m c^2 m c^2 = 4 pi e_0 G m V^2 / c^2

m cancels out, so it's independent of mass (and size). Cool!

V = c^2 / (2 sqrt(pi e_0 G))

= 1.043e27 volts

And as we can see, the electrons will be essentially like photons, since it takes ~1e27 eV to accrete each electron (electron RME ~ 511keV, insignificant).

(Incidentally, replacing e_0 with mu_0 gets you the respective magnetic result, 2.77e24 amperes. Obviously, the ratio is the impedance of free space, sqrt(e_0 / mu_0).)

An interesting result is -- if you can compress a poor electron hard enough in the first place -- it doesn't matter how many you rub together, they all push with the same gravitoelectric constant. It's a very well regulated, extremely high voltage storage battery, but do try to keep it away from all those protons you freed up in the process!

Back to the charge, our 1MSol black hole will hold a charge of about

3.56e21 faraday (3.43e26 C), or 0.0059 moles of moles of electrons. You'll use up, what, about a star's worth of electrons building it?

Weight is indeed the force exerted by an accelerated mass. And if you want a more fundamental definition, you can replace force with potential energy, exchange particles or so on. I suppose my choice of "weight" is as ambiguous as saying "mass", since all we can measure is the apparent mass of anything.

Who knows if anything is really...there, man?.. Besides matter being mostly puffy electrons and so on, of course. Modern particle physics tells us everything is really fields and symmetry (ping-pong ball particle physics is more of a geometric "I hit something" placeholder, though despite its mechanical analogy, is still surprisingly relevant and effective), and certain states of those fields result in things we call matter. Specifically, "drag" from the Higgs field results in mass. This imposition is going to be yet another quantity in terms of energy, so maybe it's a correct statement to paraphrase, "nope, it's energies all the way down!" In that case, then, it shouldn't matter what scale you measure the mass (or weight) of an object on: it will always be a true statement that it "weighs" so-and-so, including its internal energy state. This really shouldn't be surprising to anyone, because conservation of momentum is really the only thing Einstein imposed in his equations; there's no conservation of mass anymore, only mass-energy.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Through the short around to the other side of the cap.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

I'd measure it. But I don't think I could get my DVM probe back from the black hole.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

--
Photons can have no rest mass, but if, as you say,

     E = mc²,

then

     m = ----,
          c²

and it follows that if E increases, m must also increase.

Consequently, an ultraviolet photon - being more energetic than an
infrared photon - will also be more massive.
Reply to
John Fields

The constant that converts mass to charge is 1.758820150(44)×10^11 C/kg.

That's a lot a' electrons...

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

"coloumb equivalent" then.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

The same amount as a soul.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What? Of course they have mass. Read any physics text that covers relativity. All energy has mass.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

That's why I think it would weigh more. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hey, one thing you can weight is the magnetic field gradient.

If you weight a little permenant magnet (keeping it away from the scale with maybe a styrofoam cup or something.) and then flip the magnet over, the difference in weight tells you something about the vertical component of the field gradient. You've got the measure the magnetic moment of the magnet to get any real numbers.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

When the two capacitors were charged to different voltages, on each capacitor, a different number of electrons were moved from one plate to the other, enough in each case to account for the charged voltage. When they were discharged, each capacitor returned to equilibrium, with the same number of electrons on each plate. The energy involved in the charging was lost to a combination of dissipation (resistance during discharge), and radiation (due to the movement of the electrons).

--
John
Reply to

Photons have momentum, but no mass. They do not interact gravitationally.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

trons.

pty it

here

Oops, don't tell that to Eddington.

(what makes a black hole black?)

George H.

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold

--
Could you be a little less specific?
Reply to

Was I unclear? Read the first four words in the first paragraph of my link.

"The photon is massless"

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

electrons.

it

A black hole warps space. That doesn't mean that photons participate in the gravitational force.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers