What is the capacitance as a function of frequency?

I'm trying to get an intuitive understanding of high frequency and its effect on inductance and capacitance. Envision a coax made of solid copper inner and solid copper outer and air as the dielectric.

It is possible to calculate the inductance per unit length using femm

4.2 as a function of frequency, and also obtain the skin effect increase in resistance per unit length for each of the inner and the outer conductors. Final results are a table of inductance/len and resistance/len vs frequency.

The results show that as skin effect starts taking over and the electrons bunch to the surface, the inductance drops.

Embarrassing, but have to ask...

Isn't this drop in inductance caused by the fact that the electrons are traveling in a 'different' position than they were at lower frequencies? The carriers have moved from some distance apart - with a relatively higher value of inductance, to very close together since they're almost completely on the surface and not 'buried' inside each conductor - thus the inductance drops as the carriers' paths are closer.

If yes, than shouldn't this also affect capacitance? Usually capacitance is simply dielectric times area over gap and you use the distance between the surfaces of the metal to define the gap.

It would seem that capacitance can be calculated from metal to metal, but wait, the inductance changed as a function of frequency, wasn't that due to the change in the 'location' of the electrons traveling? If so, that implies the capacitance should also shift as a function of frequency as the 'cloud' of carriers moves closer to each other, traveling along the surface only. [my description is kind of bouncing back and forth between parallel plate capacitor and the coax capaictor. But I mentioned the coax so no one would get hung up on 'edge effects'] Here, implying that the capacitance per length should increase as a function of frequency, since the carriers are now 'tightly' bundled on each surface, as close as possible to each other. As a correlary that's like comparing two capacitors made with the same gap, but one is made of 100 mil thick conductors and the other is made of 1 mil thick conductors and expecting the two caps to have different values. Then my mind goes back to the thought of a cloud of electrons in the conductors and we're simply integrating their uniform distribution in the conductor over the gap.

!! Possibly, it all works out *if* the capacitance is thought of as electron distance through metal with dielectric extremely high, air gap between metal, and then distance through high dielectric metal to another electron buried inside the other plate. THAT would yield a fixed capacitor value as a function of frequency, by simply assuming the dielectric constant of metal is close to infinity [a dead short] and there can be little to NO effect from increasing frequency.

As I said, really embarrassing lack of understanding on my part, but is the explanation simply that the metal ALWAYS provides a dead short to its surface, and thus, capacitance does NOT change versus frequency? Then again, what *if* the conductor does NOT act like a dead short to the surface as frequency increases?

The overall effect caused by the inductance change will be a lower Zo as frequency increases, but if the capacitance also changes, then Zo will drop by more than one would calculate using the above inductance table and a fixed value for C. May be as L is decreasing. C is increasing.

I'm looking for a 'thought' argument here, a URL describing in better terms what's going on. As a last resort, I'll take the math form and try to sort it out.

I assume Maxwell's equations describe this perfectly. Anybody out there who can translate Maxwell Eqns to English?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Are you sure you aren't running afoul of simulation artifacts? Do you get the same result when you make the grid smaller?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Capacitance should remain constant because electrostatic charge always flows on the surface, even at "DC".

Obviously, the surface charge still can't be packed infinitely dense; the actual surface layer has to be at least a few atoms (fractional nm), and possibly a good bit more up around max field intensity (which is vacuum field emission).

This is the same as the surface layer in a semiconductor (as used in FETs), but that layer is thicker (fractional um) due to the lower number density. Which depends on doping of course: 30nm processes are 1-1.2V (so they zener (breakdown) at maybe all of 2V), and the doping is very high (as it necessarily has to be; any less and there wouldn't be any doping atoms in some transistors).

The surface layer (in metals) could probably be expressed as permittivity. It'll certainly be high, as the displacement current (D field; D is to E as H is to B) is literally huge -- indeed, electrons flow freely!

Metals tend to exhibit particularly weird permittivity up around frequencies where they stop being conductors (UV for most, ~blue for copper, only ~30MHz for the ionosphere!).

Tim

Tim Williams

Robert Macy schrieb:

Hello,

when you look here

at the formulas for capacitance and inductance per length of a coaxial cable, you see no dependance on frequency. But the frequency should be lower than the cutoff frequency of the cable.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

?

t's

es

ttdesign.com

Less nodes obscures the effect. More nodes demonstrates the effect and makes the solution converge. I always try to use 3 nodes deep, which can be difficult when skin depth goes VERY shallow.

Change in inductance is understandable. Permeability in free space and permeability in conductor is the same - and not so good. Therefore, *IF* the distribution of carriers can move around; there has to be a change in inductance. Thus, lowered inductance occurs and is caused by skin depth moving the carriers out to the surface [and thereby opposing sheaths of carriers closer to each other] is reasonable. AND, going up in frequency the inductance decreases asymptotically to some value as the carriers become a crowded on the surface.

Reply to
Robert Macy

ows

),

.

er

.

as

ies

MHz

I think you have the right idea. What I have are THREE capacitors in series.

  1. carrier that is buried in the conductor to the edge of the conductor
  2. one conductor to another conductor via the dielectric
  3. edge of the conductor to a carrier buried in the conductor.

Since metal is such a good 'conductor' of electric field [zero inside the metal] the field transfers intact from the buried electron to the surface of the conductor. That makes capacitors 1 and 3 a dead short. Et voila! capacitance is not a function of frequency.

Except there is a 'Drude Model' that does have a slight change with frequency. But for Engineering accuracies, it is safe to assume there is zero change in capacitance with frequency.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks for that URL.

Indeed that formula does NOT have any term showing a sensitivity to frequency.

But from the tables I generated responding to another post, =3D =3D =3D COAX Single [trying to approx inner cond. 4.9mm OD and outer cond.

5.0mm ID use 10mil shim tube, OD radius=3D0.096 ID radius=3D0.098 16 inches long

FREE SPACE L(in nH) R(in milliohms) DC 8.55 1.90

100kHz 8.15 2.79 320kHz 6.16 7.32 1MHz 3.81 14.2 10MHz 2.32 45.2 =3D =3D =3D it is obvious that the simplest of coax structures [concentri metal tubes in air] display a decrease in inductance with increasing frequency. The decrease is not sharp.

The initial drop is caused by the carriers 'bunching' to the conductors' surfaces.

The more significant drop is caused by the skin effect causing weird current distributions under the surface. Just under the surface of the conductor, the currents start going the WRONG way in the conductor and actually start subtracting! It's almost like having several interdigitated concentric tubes where the interdigitation DESTROYS the inductance.

For anyone who uses femm 4.2 here is the basic model: [Format] =3D 4.0 [Frequency] =3D 0 [Precision] =3D 1e-008 [MinAngle] =3D 30 [Depth] =3D 16 [LengthUnits] =3D inches [ProblemType] =3D planar [Coordinates] =3D cartesian [Comment] =3D "Single 5mm coax\n16 inch long" [PointProps] =3D 0 [BdryProps] =3D 1 =3D "Infinite 0.5 inch" =3D 2 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 62659426.414132021 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 [BlockProps] =3D 2 =3D "Air" =3D 1 =3D 1 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 1 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D "Copper" =3D 1 =3D 1 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 58 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 1 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D 0 [CircuitProps] =3D 2 =3D "C+" =3D 1 =3D 0 =3D 0 =3D "C-" =3D -1 =3D 0 =3D 0 [NumPoints] =3D 10

0.5 0 0 0

-0.5 0 0 0

0.096000000000000002 0 0 0

-0.096000000000000002 0 0 0

0.085999999999999993 0 0 0

-0.085999999999999993 0 0 0

0.098000000000000004 0 0 0

-0.098000000000000004 0 0 0

0.108 0 0 0

-0.108 0 0 0 [NumSegments] =3D 0 [NumArcSegments] =3D 10

1 0 180 2 1 0 0 0 1 180 2 1 0 0 3 2 180 0.29999999999999999 0 0 0 2 3 180 0.29999999999999999 0 0 0 5 4 180 1 0 0 0 4 5 180 1 0 0 0 9 8 180 1 0 0 0 6 7 180 0.29999999999999999 0 0 0 8 9 180 1 0 0 0 7 6 180 0.29999999999999999 0 0 0 [NumHoles] =3D 0 [NumBlockLabels] =3D 5 0 0.45000000000000001 1 0.01 0 0 0 1 0 0 0.089999999999999997 2 0.002 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 -0.105 2 0.002 2 0 0 1 0 0.097000000000000003 0 1 -1 0 0 0 1 0
Reply to
Robert Macy

Get the ARRL handbook and read the part on transmission lines.

When an open stub is fed with different frequencies, it will show inductive or capacitive reactance, depending on the ratio of cable length to wavelength in cable, even a dead short or an open circuit in extreme cases.

Please check your results with a Smith chart before continuing.

--

Tauno Voipio

PS. Only God knows where the RF likes to go ...
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

The termination of the coax has NO effect on the coax's inductance/ length, nor on its capacitance per length. I politely ask, "What does the coax length have to do with this discussion?"

Here's something to think about: Tell us why the little 'swirlies' in a Smith Chart measurement as made on a Network Analyzer are ALWAYS clockwise.

Reply to
Robert Macy

If you feed the cable with RF, you cannot separate the reactance effects seen at an end, the reflected inductive and capacitive effects combine, so the original question is moot here.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

th

th

Yes ARRL is a great source.

So, why does the S11, S21, etc displays on the network analyzer always turn clockwise?

Reply to
Robert Macy