Tesla Charging Problem

resistive heater would solve the problem.

Also, Tesla, unlike any other EVs, does not like unplugging and replugging J1772 plugs. Sometimes, we have to do that to shift public cables with idling cars, usually Tesla.

Reply to
Ed Lee

There is no problem to solve, other than the fact that this car has a defect. Something was broken.

My car has been at below 10°F the last few days and it charges from a 120V outlet.

Oh, and it does have an electric heater if needed.

I don't know what you are talking about with the J1772 plugs. Do you?

Reply to
Ricky

I think he left it outside overnight with 19 miles left. Even driving all 19 miles would not be enough to warm it up.

As long as your car is still warm enough.

Yes, attach an electric heater to the bottom of the Tesla when driving outside.

I stole the plug from a Tesla not charging. She came back 2 hours later complaining that she need one more hour. Someone probably moved her plug at night in a four hours limit station. Fine, i gave her back the plug. I was almost done anyway.

There are four plugs and four spaces. Sometimes one or more idle cars there. I have to park at the fifth space and shift plugs around. Someone told me Tesla does not like to be unplug and replug.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I don't know what to make of you sometimes. "10°F the last few days" What part of that says to you the car or battery is remotely warm???

The battery heater is built into the car. You really are not following this are you? Did you have too much egg nog?

Oh, I see, you think everybody's car is like your Leaf with virtually no temperature controls.

The Teslas use an adapter for J1772. The J1772 connector does not lock to the adapter. So people like you can be jerks and steal other people's charging. I believe there are adapters you can buy that does lock to the J1772 connector. Does the J1772 connector lock to your car?

"Someone" told you? What is it with "someone"? You really do believe everything you hear. What does "not like" mean in the context of a car? Does the car pout and not charge?

I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you. You seem very smart in some ways, but very, very not smart in others.

Reply to
Ricky

It was clearly a malfunction in the battery charger or heater. They do restrict the charging when the battery is very cold. If you have a lower power connection, it will use all of it to warm the battery first. But the story included charging at a Supercharger that supplies much more power than needed to heat the battery. So it seems pretty clear the battery heater is not working.

I'm charging from 1.4 kW and I still have the charging working at 13°F, without driving for a couple of days. Ed Lee can be pretty silly at times. Strange guy.

Reply to
Ricky

No, it does not and should not be locked to a public charger with 4 hours charging limit. Of course, many driver ignore it and lock it over-night.

The charger indicates that it is not charging. Tesla drivers told me that it would not restart charging if you change the plug, without doing something in the car. I don't know or care what they have to do, but they don't like us moving plugs on them. I believe that they can get notification from phone app to come back to the car, before someone steal their plug.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The purpose of locking is to prevent someone from stealing from you. If I've paid for charging, why should you get it for free?

My car starts charging when I plug it in. Nothing magical. I don't know what "notification" you are talking about. If the car stops charging, it informs the owner through the app on the phone, but that's not 100% reliable.

I hardly ever know what you are talking about. This is a perfect example. You think the world works the way you want it to. It doesn't.

Reply to
Ricky

These are public free chargers. Everybody get it for free. But Tesla drivers don't want us to move the plugs, even if that's the only way for other to charge. They seems to think that as long as they are plugged-in, they own the plug. One Tesla driver almost got into a fight with a Rivian driver, when the Rivian driver stole his plug. The Rivian driver said the Tesla was there over four hours, probably overnight anyway.

There are obviously different Teslas in my area that doesn't work the way you describe. I am sure someone else moved that woman's plug and it stopped charging (as shown in the charging station) when i took it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The Rivian driver knew because he had been waiting for four hours? Nothing about that story is plausible.

Besides, "free" chargers aren't the only ones around. The ability to lock a connector is the only way to prevent you from paying for someone else's charge.

Again, your command of the English language prevents you from being understood. I know you think what you wrote is clear, but you are actually saying that the Tesla stopped charging when it was disconnected from the charger. I don't know any way for a car to continue to charge when it is not connected.

The only way a Tesla won't charge when plugged in, is if it is programmed to charge at certain times. Perhaps that's what happened. I don't care. This is your bizarre world of charging with eyedroppers and dental floss. I charge at home or at Superchargers. To normal people, there's no reason to charge anywhere else.

You are genuinely one of the most bizarre people I've ever met.

Reply to
Ricky

The charging stations show the exact charging time, idle time, current charging power and total charging power. What's so difficult to believe?

For paid charging stations, disconnecting the plug stops the current session and you have to start a new session with your own dime. Do you ever use public (free or not) chargers?

That's not the case. The Teslas park and charge there overnight. No reason to set any timer.

I wish you can tell all these Teslas charging here to just go home. Perhaps they spent too much on the car to pay for Tesla supercharger.

You keep arguing mental states instead of facts.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Perhaps it's your problem in understanding, i said several times that the Tesla stopped charging when we are moving plugs around by unpluging and repluging them.

For example, if there are four cars there:

A B C D where B is idling for hours as shown in the charging station.

I pull in to park next to D as E then disconnect plug D and plug into E disconnect plug C and plug into D disconnect plug B and plug into C

Some Tesla (C or D) might not charge after shifting plugs.

Reply to
Ed Lee