The latest on tin whiskers in lead-free soldering?

Which, you say, is 60 years?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hot dip plating has been around for a long time. For Zinc on Ferrous metals it is called Hot Dip Galvanizing. Really common.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

josephkk wrote

I know, but I was talking about IC lead frames, not busbars or water tanks. IC lead frames are normally stamped out and plated.

Also, Japan went lead-free about 15 years ago and if whatever goes onto IC lead frames was making whiskers, we would know about it by now.

I've never seen IC lead frames plated with bright shiny tin, or bright shiny anything. They are always grey.

Europe (and the USA being forced to follow commercially) went lead free c. 2005 onwards.

More importantly many companies in the *industrial* marketplace (i.e. where products are not chucked out after a few years) used the Control & Monitoring exemption and didn't go LF till much later, and *that* is where a problem could be lurking.

Reply to
Peter