The Gilmartin Waterwheel

July 08, 2007 This week

  • Brief and compact new update format

  • A new feature which allows you to get paid for reviewing my posts if you have a blog of your own

  • A Continuation of the discussion of Social Intentionality

  • New links to articles by Jared Diamond on how Societies make disastrous decisions

  • The Gilmartin Waterwheel: A tiny water wheel that powers a small cottage from and 8 inch waterfall, and much more new material in the sidebars; new articles, books, resource websites and blogs.

Next week we will get into "memes" and the way they can cause people to operate against their own best interest.

On to this week's info:

Establishments v. Institutions: The Difference, Why it Matters, and the Role of "Critical Mass"

You're the Best,

Your Devoted Attendant

Robert Run

Reply to
attendant

Somebody can't do the math.

John

At a thousend cubicmeters per second...

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Need about 1000 kg/sec (1000 liters/second; about 35 cubic feet/ second) in an 0.2m drop for a kW output, right? (I seem to be having a little trouble doing arithmetic in my head today, so that may be somewhat in error...) That assumes you can get a full 50% of the energy out of the water and into 'lectricity, which also isn't going to happen. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything on the referenced web page about the actual flow rate. About a year ago, I met a fellow who is something of an expert in alternate energy systems, including low-head hydro; for sure there are existing solutions, and have been for some time.

Cheers, Tom

(Add'l calc: if the water takes 0.4 second to make the drop in the "wheel," the wheel must hold about 400 liters or 14 cubic feet or over

100 gallons of water in the down-moving buckets.)
Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Now that WOULD be some power, even at only 0.2 meters drop. Average flow of the Mississippi river at New Orleans is only about 17 thousand cubic meters per second.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Maybe its 8 inched high and two miles wide. ;-)

Think honk if you\'re a telepath.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.