The end is in sight

ative

in

You are peddling James Arthur's view of the situation. In fact the U.S. government did want the banks to lend to people in higher risk groups - which is to say members of minrities who lived in low-income neighbourhoods - and accepted that this was going to lead to a somewhat higher proportion of defaults than the banks had been used to, and subsidised the loans to cover this.

This is a long way short of "forcing the banks" to write ninja loans to to people who everybody knew couldn't afford to pay them back - basically, the banks were too lazy and irresponsible to run the thorough credit checks that would have made it possible for them to make home loans to only those members of the high risk groups who were likely to pay them back. That would have taken time and effort, and depleted the pool of potential borrowers, who naturally preferred to borrow from lenders who were willing to lend them money without asking them lots of tedious questions and making them hang around until their stories had been checked out.

True, but the banks were prepared to lend against the bubble-boosted value of the properties, which has to be pretty stupid.

Actually, Uncle Sugardady is using your money to prevent the consequences of the banker's irresponsible behaviour from tanking the economy for a couple of years - unemployment went up to 25% during the Great Depression, and stayed there for a few years.

Nobody wants to have to bail out the banks, but not bailing out the banks makes the situation a whole lot worse.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

s: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

At the moment, when compared with what the gasoline-powereed car offers in the way of convenience and performance. The electric-powered car is already "good enough" but you wouldn't choose it on the basis of performance or economy.

ve =A0

he

If we were still riding horses to work, the streets of New York would be six feet deep in horse-shit every day. The problem with the gasoline-powered car is less immediately obvious, but it's real enough.

Nuclear reactors don't have much of a carbon foot-print, but disposing of nuclear waste has its own problems, which we've been trying to solve for fifty years, and nobody has yet come up with a totally acceptable solution, let alone put one into practice.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

That's kind of like when George Takei announced he was gay.

A friend told me Arlen Specter has been more liberal than moderate Democrats for years, was RINO Republican In Name Only for years.

Less than a year ago he affirmed his commitment to the Republican party. He didn't support the planks or platform so he was NOT going to get the Republican nomination. So he jumped ship.

It's about his political survival, not any sudden ideological epiphany.

He wasn't just left wing for a Republican, he was left wing for a Democrat!

Reply to
Greegor

LOL!

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

The fact that that scared so many people proves that the terrorists won the war.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Don't forget your reloader kit - ammo will probably be in short supply as well.

(or buy a frontloader! ;-) )

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Make everything mirror-smooth, or at least burnished - in UHV, almost everything will field-emit.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What, haven't you been paying attention?

He whines about the deficit he's "inherited", then proceeds to triple it? He bails out the companies that were driven into bankruptcy by cowtowing to the unions, and the banks that wrote mortgages that were _guaranteed_ to fail? He's presiding over the biggest redistribution of money from the productive to the unproductive in the entire history of the known Universe, and you can't see that?

Sheesh - how long have you had your head in the sand?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

"kowtow", i.e., (v.i.) to exhibit servile deference; fawn; (n.) an obsequious act.

The rest is pure gold.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I've got no problem with identifying perps, so you can track down repeat offenders; unfortunately that would require an honest police force comprising people with impeccable integrity. Dream on.

But, unless you have been convicted as a perp, collecting an individual's DNA without his or her permission is not only wrong, it's borderline evil.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Are you ever going to take your blinders off?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Too droopy for my taste. Human women shouldn't have udders.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Skinny smart women are my faves, but smart and sweet in alternate packages shall be considered.

Mencken said "Marry for the conversation--it's the only thing that lasts."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Absolutely keerect. My wife is a great conversationalist, and hysterically funny at times.

Next anniversary will be #50 ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Apr 28, 7:02=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote: ...

You may not need to search for work any longer. Ever heard of Laurence Godfrey?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yeah, I prefer small & perky myself.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

And your Internet activities monitored.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

than

We won't know whether or not it's paranoia until afterwards.

Not as far as I can tell. You're obviously entitled to your own opinion.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

He had to do that to fend off a depression.

Personally, I agree that America would be better off in the long run, if it let GM & the like collapse, but it'd be a vote-loser in the meantime. I also believe that the taxpayers shouldn't be propping up farmers either, but that's another surefire vote-loser.

It was the commodification of mortgages that made it possible for brokers to sell mortgages to people without jobs, etc. I'm not sure who was responsible for that screwup, but it obviously wasn't Obama.

Like I said, he had to choose between that or a 1929-style depression. This option sucks too, but not nearly as much as a depression would.

Well, that's a matter of opinion, isn't it? - I'd argue the same about your views. ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter
[...]

Well said. That's exactly the problem. In the real world, it actually costs more to make sure that the 'undeserving' are excluded than it does to just pay out & accept that there's going to be some wastage. Per capita, the USA spends more money on health care than countries with free universal health care that excludes nobody. I suspect that the same is also true of the Social Security system.